The Milan city council on 20 October 2016 bestowed honorary citizenship on the Dalai Lama. However, China has strongly opposed another award given to him.
Lamberto Bertole, Chairman of the Council of Milan, honoured the Dalai Lama with the Milan Honorary Citizenship award at a ceremony held at the Arcimboldi Theatre in Milan, Italy.
About Dalai Lama
• The 14th Dalai Lama is the current Dalai Lama.
• Dalai Lamas are important monks of the Gelug school, the newest school of Tibetan Buddhism, which is nominally headed by the Ganden Tripas.
• From the time of the 5th Dalai Lama to 1959, the central government of Tibet, the Ganden Phodrang, invested the position of Dalai Lama with temporal duties.
• The 14th Dalai Lama was born in Taktser village, Amdo, Tibet.
• He was selected as the tulku of the 13th Dalai Lama in 1937 and formally recognized as the 14th Dalai Lama at a public declaration near the town of Bumchen in 1939.
• His enthronement ceremony as the Dalai Lama was held in Lhasa on 22 February 1940.
• He eventually assumed full temporal duties on 17 November 1950, at the age of 15, after China's invasion of Tibet.
• During the 1959 Tibetan uprising, the Dalai Lama fled to India, where he currently lives as a refugee.
• The 14th Dalai Lama received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989.