France’s Iris Mittenaere on 30 January 2017 was crowned the Miss Universe 2016. The pageant was held at the Mall of Asia Arena, Pasay, Metro Manila, Philippines.
Pia Wurtzbach of the Philippines crowned her successor Iris Mittenaere at the end of the event.
Miss Haiti Raquel Pélissier was announced the first runner-up while Miss Columbia Andrea Tovar was named the second runner-up in the pageant.
India’s Roshmitha Harimurthy could not even make it to the top 15.
About Iris Mittenaere
• Born on 25 January 1993, Mittenaere is a French model.
• She is the second Miss Universe from France. France's Christiane Martel was crowned the Miss Universe in the year 1953.
• Mittenaere had represented Nord-Pas-de-Calais at the Miss France 2016. On 19 December 2015, she was crowned Miss France 2016.
About Miss Universe
• Miss Universe is an annual international beauty pageant.
• It is run by the Miss Universe Organization.
• It was founded in 1952 by the California-based clothing company Pacific Knitting Mills, and the Miss Universe Organization.
• The current Miss Universe logo, "the woman with stars", was created in the year 1998.
• The International Pageant of Pulchritude first used the title Miss Universe in 1926. The competition was held annually until 1935. However, the Great Depression and other events preceding World War II led to its demise.
• The first Miss Universe Pageant was held in Long Beach, California in 1952. The crown was won by Finland’s Armi Kuusela.