National Milk Day 2019: All you need to know
National Milk Day was first celebrated on 26 November 2014 where various milk producers from 22 states participated.
National Milk Day is celebrated across the country on November 26 every year on the birthday of Dr. Verghese Kurien. He was the father of the White Revolution in India. National Milk Day is celebrated to promote benefits related to milk and milk industry and to create awareness among people about the importance of milk and milk products. India is celebrating 98th birth anniversary of Dr. Kurien this year.
It was announced by the agriculture minister Radha Mohan Singh that Indian milk production has witnessed a growth of 6.28 per cent during 2014 and 2016. Also, per capita, milk consumption capacity increased from 307 gm per day (2013-14) to 340 gm per day (2015-16).
History of National Milk Day
The Indian Dairy Association (IDA), in 2014, took the initiative to celebrate this day for the first time. World Milk Day is observed on 1 June every year by the United Nations. The first National Milk Day was celebrated on 26 November 2014 where various milk producers from 22 states participated.
Also Read | National Press Day 2019 observed across India
About Dr. Verghese Kurien
• Verghese Kurien was born on 26 November 1921 in Kozhikode, Kerala.
• He was a well-known Indian social entrepreneur and is still famous for his ‘Operation Flood’ the world's largest agricultural development program.
• He is also known as the 'Father of the White Revolution' in India.
• He established 30 institutions which are run by various farmers and workers. Kurien played a key role in the establishment and success of the Amul brand.
• He was awarded the Ramon Magsaysay Award in 1963 and World Food Prize in 1989.
• He was awarded Padma Shri in the year 1965, the Padma Bhushan in the year 1966 and the Padma Vibhushan in 1999 by the Government of India.
• It is a well-known fact that India became the largest producer of milk in 1998, surpassing the US, all thanks to the strenuous efforts of Dr. Verghese Kurien.
• He passed away on September 9, 2012, at the age of 90.