The National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) on 4 January 2018 approved five Namami Gange projects worth Rs 295.01 crore.
Out of 5, three projects pertain to sewage management in West Bengal at an estimated cost of Rs 278.6 crore, one relates to sewage management in Uttarakhand at an estimated cost of Rs 4.68 crore and one project worth Rs 11.73 crore is related to ghat improvement works in Varanasi.
With this approval of 5 projects, all the Namami Gange projects related to sewage management in high pollution load towns along river Ganga have been sanctioned.
Sewage Management in West Bengal
• In West Bengal, sewage management works in Kamarhati and Baranagar Municipalities will be undertaken at an estimated cost of Rs 172.10 crore under PPP-based Hybrid Annuity mode.
• Pollution abatement works for river Ganga in Berhampore Municipality will be done at an estimated cost of Rs 52.2 crore.
• Sewage management works in Nabadwip Municipality will be done at an estimated cost of Rs 54.3 crore.
Sewage Management in Uttarakhand
In Uttarakhand, NMCG approved one project for laying of sewer lines in some of the uncovered areas in Haridwar at an estimated cost of Rs 4.68 crore.
Sewage Management in Varanasi
• In Varanasi, NMCG approved a project worth Rs 11.73 crore for repair and retrofitting of various ghats.
• This project is aimed at strengthening the poor condition of ghats through bolder pitching and stone steps to ensure improved life of ghats apart from avoiding inconvenience to the visitors and pilgrims.
Union Government lays foundation stone for 32 projects in Uttarakhand under Namami Gange programme
About National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG)
• NMCG was established on 12 August 2011 under the Societies Registration Act, 1860.
• It acts as the implementation arm of National Council for Rejuvenation, Protection and Management of River Ganga (National Ganga Council).
• It has a two tier management structure and comprises Governing Council and Executive Committee. Both the bodies are headed by Director General (DG), NMCG.
• The Executive Committee is authorized to approve projects up to Rs 1000 crore under the mission.
• The Director General (DG) of NMCG is also an Additional Secretary in Government of India.
NMCG approves 8 Projects worth over Rs 700 Cr under Namami Gange Programme