Noted scholar and JNU professor Mathias Samuel Soundra Pandian died on 10 November 2014 following a sudden heart attack. He was 57.
He was working with the School of Social Sciences’ Centre for Historical Studies in Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU).
Mathias Samuel Soundra Pandian
- Mathias Samuel Soundra Pandian completed his Ph.D in Madras University in 1987.
- Before joining JNU, he was an associate professor at the Madras Institute of Development Studies (MIDS), Chennai from 1989 to 2009.
- His publications were many including Brahmin and Non -Brahmin: Genealogies of the Tamil Political Present and The Image Trap: M G Ramachandran in Films and Politics.
- Pandian wrote extensively on the Dravidian Movement, south Indian politics, cinema, caste, identity and several other socially relevant issues.
- Pandian wrote for national newspapers and for the Economic and Political Weekly for several years and was known for his incisive articles on Tamil Nadu and Dravidian politics in particular.