The NTPC Ltd in the second week of March 2017 installed India’s largest floating solar photo voltaic plant at the Rajiv Gandhi Combined Cycle Power Plant (RGCCPP) Kayamkulam in Kerala.
The plant was inaugurated by AK Jha, Director (Technical) of the NTPC Ltd.
Details related to the plant
• The 100 kWp floating solar photo voltaic plant is the largest of its kind in India as on date.
• This floating platform has been indigenously developed by the NETRA (NTPC Energy Technology Research Alliance) in collaboration with Central Institute of Plastic Engineering & Technology (CIPET), Chennai.
• The system was installed by Swelect Energy Systems Ltd, Chennai with the support from NETRA and NTPC Kayamkulam station in a short span of 22 days.
Relevance of Floating Solar PV Plant for India
• Floating solar photo voltaic plant systems are fast emerging as an alternative to conventional ground mounted photo voltaic systems, which are land intensive.
• It has various benefits like conserving water through the reduction of evaporation, increased generation due to cooling effect on the panels and reduced installation time.
• Installation potential of such type of systems in India is huge due to the abundance of water bodies.
• Within the NTPC, the potential is approximately 800 MWp in various reservoirs in existing stations.
• Due to availability of abundant water bodies, this type of system has a great potential in Kerala.
• NTPC has already started working on scaling up such type of system for MW scale installation.
About NTPC Ltd
• NTPC is India’s largest energy conglomerate with roots planted way back in 1975 to accelerate power development in India.
• Since then, it has established itself as the dominant power major with the presence in the entire value chain of the power generation business.
• From fossil fuels, it has forayed into generating electricity via hydro, nuclear and renewable energy sources.
• This foray will play a major role in lowering its carbon footprint by reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
When: March 2017