Reserve Bank of India on 7 November 2016 appointed M Rajeshwar Rao as the Executive Director. He succeeded G Mahalingam, who took voluntary retirement from the central bank.
As Executive Director, Rajeshwar Rao will look after Department of Statistics and Information Management, Financial Markets Operation Department and International Department.
• Prior to taking over as the Executive Director, Rajeshwar Rao was the Chief General Manager, Financial Markets Operations Department.
• He carried a Bachelor of Arts in Economics and a Master of Business Administration from University of Cochin. He is also a Certificated Associate of Indian Institute of Bankers.
• He joined the Reserve Bank in 1984 and as career central banker has exposure in various aspects of central bank functioning.
• He has previously held charge of the Risk Monitoring Department.
• He has also worked as the Banking Ombudsman, New Delhi and in the Reserve Bank’s regional offices at Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Chennai and New Delhi.