Indian wrestler Sakshi Malik on 17 August 2016 won bronze in the 58 kg category at the Olympic Games in Rio.
Malik won the bronze medal after an 8–5 victory over the reigning Asian champion Aisuluu Tynybekova of Kyrgyzstan, despite trailing 0–5 at one stage, in the repechage medal playoff.
With this, Malik brought home India’s first medal of the competition. With the win, she also became India's first female wrestler and the fourth female athlete ever to win an Olympic medal.
About Sakshi Malik
• Born 3 September 1992, Sakshi Malik is an Indian freestyle wrestler.
• Her first success as a professional wrestler in the international arena came in 2010 at the Junior World Championships where she won the bronze medal in the 58 kg freestyle event.
• At the 2014 Dave Schultz International Tournament, she won gold in the 60 kg category.
• She had previously won silver medal at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.
• At the 2015 Asian Wrestling Championships in Doha, she won the bronze medal.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Sakshi Malik
When: 17 August 2016