Sarangi maestro Pandit Ram Narayan on 3 February 2016 was selected for the prestigious Bharat Ratna Pandit Bhimsen Joshi Classical Music Award for 2015-2016.
Narayan’s selection for the award was announced by Maharashtra's Cultural Affairs Minister Vinod Tawde in Mumbai.
About Pandit Ram Narayan
• Pandit Ram Narayan popularised the bowed instrument sarangi as a solo concert instrument in Hindustani classical music and became the first internationally successful sarangi player.
• In 1944, All India Radio, Lahore, hired him as an accompanist for vocalists.
• He moved to Delhi following the partition of India in 1947. However, he moved to Mumbai in 1949 to work in Indian cinema.
• He became a concert solo artist in 1956.
• He recorded solo albums and began to tour America and Europe in the 1960s.
• He was awarded India's second highest civilian honour, the Padma Vibhushan, in 2005.
About Bhimsen Joshi Award
• The Bharat Ratna Pandit Bhimsen Joshi Classical Music Award is an annual award, which was instituted by the Maharashtra Government.
• It is given to individuals who have excelled in classical vocal or instrumental music.
• The award comprises 5 lakh rupees in cash, a trophy and a citation.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 3 February 2016