Sasikala Natarajan on 5 February 2017 was elected as the Legislative Party leader of the All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK). She was unanimously elected by the AIADMK MLAs at a party meeting in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
After Sasikala’s appointment as the Legislative Party leader, the roads are now clear for her to replace O Panneerselvam as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.
On the other hand, Panneerselvam on 5 February 2017 tendered his resignation from the post of the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu. He had formally taken over as CM after the demise of J Jayalalithaa on 5 December 2016.
About Sasikala Natarajan
• Born in 1957, Sasikala met Jayalalithaa, who was then the Propaganda Secretary of the Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam, for recording video of party functions.
• On 7 December 1996, she was arrested along with Jayalalithaa and was remanded to judicial custody for 30 days in connection with the Colour TV scam.
About O Panneerselvam
• Panneerselvam served as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu from 6 December 2016 to 5 February 2017. He previously served in the same office in 2001-2002 and 2014-2015.
• He is a member of the All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam.
• His first two terms as Chief Minister in the state of Tamil Nadu came to be when he replaced Jayalalithaa in the role, after she was forced to resign by the courts.
• His third term began following Jayalalithaa's death.
Who: Sasikala Natarajan
When: 5 February 2017