The director of Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC), Sriharikota Range (SHAR) MYS Prasad was on 10 January 2015 selected for the Vikram Sarabhai memorial award 2015. The award will be presented to MYS Prasad by the Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA).
Prasad was selected for his outstanding contribution to Research and Development in the field of space science in his long career at the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
Generally, the ISCA awards are presented at the inaugural function of the Indian Science Congress but this award will be presented in a separate function that will be organised by ISCA.
• MYS Prasad did his Doctorate in Satellite Communications field from Birla Institute of Technology and Sciences (BITS).
• He is the Chairman of Launch Authorization Board including for MARS Orbiter Mission since January 2013.
• He established Satellite based 24 hour connectivity between Indian Research Station Maitry at Antarctica to NAOCR in Goa for Data transfer facilities.
• He was the Director of Master Control Facility (MCF) of ISRO which controls all GSO Satellites of India from 1998 to 2005.
• He was Vice-President of International Astronautical Federation (IAF) for four years from 2006 to 2010.
Vikram Sarabhai memorial award
• The Vikram Sarabhai memorial award was instituted by the Indian Science Congress Association in 1997-98. The award carries a Gold Medal and is given in every alternate years.
• The award is given to distinguished Scientist of the Country in recognition of their outstanding contributions.
• The award is presented at the inaugural function of the Annual Session of the Indian Science Congress Association.
• The previous awardees of Vikram Sarabhai memorial award are former ISRO chairmen Dr Satish Dhawan, K. Kasturi Rangan, G. Madhavan Nair and K. Radhakrishnan.
Who: MYS Prasad
When: 10 January 2015