The second round of National Deworming Day (NDD) was held across the nation on 10 August 2017 to tackle worm infections targeting more than 11 Cr children.
The Health Ministry stated that among the total number of children, at least 7.8 Cr were from private schools while the rest, 3.5 Cr, were out of school children. The out of school children were covered through Anganwadi workers and ASHAs.
Follow-up activities would be held later on 17 August, which will cover 31 Cr children.
• The National Deworming Day programme was launched in 2015.
• The day is organised twice a year in the country except for Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh where it is carried out just once in a year.
• Under the programme, children between the age of 1 and 19 are provided with deworming tablets.
• The first round of the programme this year was held in February during which, around 26 Cr children were covered.
• The estimates of the World Health Organisation (WHO) reveal that around 220 million children below 14 years in India stand the risk of getting soil-transmitted helminthiasis (STH) infections.
• In the first-ever round of NDD, in February 2015, approximately 8.9 Cr children were administered the deworming tablet across 11 states and Union territories, achieving almost 85 percent coverage.
• The following year saw at least 25 Cr children getting covered in February and 12 Cr in August.
According to the Health Ministry, the deworming programme can potentially improve the nutritional status of children. The ministry also confirmed that the deworming tablet, Albendazole, is a perfectly safe and efficacious drug.
Besides administering tablets, various health promotion activities related to water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) were also organised in the schools and anganwadis.
How to detect worm infection in children?
The children having worm infections, especially those with high worm infections, might experience nausea, mild abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhoea and fatigue.
What: Covered 11 Cr children
When: 10 August 2017
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider