Sikkim won National Tourism Award 2012-13
Sikkim won the National Tourism Award 2012-13. The award was handed over by Shashi Tharoor to Bhim Dhungel, Sikkim’s Tourism Minister in New Delhi.
Sikkim won the National Tourism Award 2012-13 on 18 February 2014. The award was handed over to Bhim Dhungel, Sikkim’s Tourism Minister by Shashi Tharoor, Union Minister for Human Resource Development at a function at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi.
Union Ministry of Tourism declared Sikkim as the best State in the implementation of rural tourism projects. The Ministry described, Sikkim as a perfect destination to experience rich culture and scenic natural beauty.
Bhim Dhungel at the award ceremony informed that the Chief Minister of Sikkim, Pawan Chamling has launched an ambitious project of 140-crore rupees for development of the tourism facilities in the state along with halting points, view points, retiring units and other infrastructural facilities.
Tourism in Sikkim
The tourism department of Sikkim had tied up with states like Kerala, Gujarat, Karnataka and Goa for tourist flow from these states to Sikkim. To ensure international tourism flow in the state, the department is also negotiating with countries like Bhutan and Nepal.
Ministry of Tourism, Government of India
The Ministry of Tourism of Government of India is the nodal agency for the formulation of national policies and programmes and for the co-ordination of activities of various Central Government Agencies, State Governments/UTs and the Private Sector for the development and promotion of tourism in the country. This Ministry is headed by the Union Minister of State for Tourism (Independent Charge) and at present the Union Minister of State for Tourism is Chiranjeevi.
Some other Achievements, Recognitions and Awards received by Sikkim
• Sikkim has been ranked as the first state in India for implementation of Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan.
• Sikkim has received 2 MGNREGA Awards for excellent implementation of MGNREGA Scheme in the State
• In 2013 for e-Governance, Sikkim received e-North East Award
• It received the Agriculture Leadership award in 2013
• Environment for Spring Conservation Project Sikkim received e-North East award in 2012
• In 2004-05 it received the award as best performing state in Education
• In recognition of commendable work done in the field of information Technology it received Skoch Challenger Award in 2005
• Hospitality India Award in 2006
• State Leadership Award 2009 in horticulture
• Best State for Adventure Tourism for the year 2009