Sprinter Srabani Nanda on 8 October 2016 won the 24th Ekalabya Award for the year 2016 in recognition of her sporting excellence. With this, she will get a cash price of 5 lakh rupees along with a citation at the Ekalabya Award function.
Athlete Dutee Chand won the award in the year 2015.
About Srabani Nanda
• Nanda is an Indian woman sprint runner athlete from Odisha specialized in 4x100m relay, 100 metre and 200 metre sprint events. She belongs to Kandhamal District of Odisha.
• She made it to Rio Olympics 2016 in the women's 200m category.
• Srabani won gold in 200m, silver in 100m and 4x100m relay in 12th South Asian Games held in Guwahati in February 2016.
• She had also won bronze in 100m and 4x100m relay in Asian Grand Prix Athletics in Thailand in June 2015.
About Ekalabya Award
• Ekalabya Award, which was instituted in the year 1993 by Indian Metals Public Charitable Trust (IMPaCT) of IMFA group of companies.
• It is given every year to young sportspersons of Odisha in recognition of their outstanding performance in the preceding two years.
• It was instituted to promote, encourage and recognise Odia Sports personalities in the State.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.