Sunanda Pushkar, the wife of the Union Minister Sashi Tharoor on 17 January 2014 was found dead in a luxury Leela Palace hotel room in Delhi. Her body was found by Tharoor after his return from the AICC meet.
As per the police, the dead body of the 52-year-old Pushkar was found in suspicious circumstances in the room and believes that it is a case of suicide. The private secretary of the Minister said that Tharoor and Pushkar were staying in the hotel from 16 January 2014 following the ongoing painting work at their home.
About Sunanda Pushkar
• She was an entrepreneur
• She married Shashi Tharoor in 2010
• She was a sales director in the Dubai-based TECOM Investments, and a co-owner of Rendezvous Sports World
About Shashi Tharoor
• He is an Union Minister of State for Human Resources Development and has been elected member of the Indian Parliament from Thiruvananthapuram constituency in Kerala
• He has served as the United Nations peace-keeper, refugee worker, human rights activist
• Shashi Tharoor was the official candidate of India for the succession to UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan in 2006, and came a close second to Ban Ki-Moon out of seven contenders in the race.
• His UN career began in 1978, when he joined the staff of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in Geneva, and included key responsibilities in peace-keeping after the Cold War and as a senior adviser to the Secretary-General, as well as the United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Communications and Public Information.
• Tharoor left the UN on 31 March 2007
• Tharoor is also the award-winning author of thirteen books namely
i. Reasons of State (1981)
ii. India: From Midnight to the Millennium (1997)
iii. Kerala: God’s Own Country (2002)
iv. Nehru: The Invention of India (2003)
v. Bookless in Baghdad (2005)
vi. The Elephant, the Tiger and the Cellphone: Reflections on India in the 21st Century (2007)
vii. Shadows across the Playing Field (2009)
viii. The Great Indian Novel (1989)
ix. Riot (2001)
x. Show Business (1992)
xi. The Five-Dollar Smile (1990)
xii. India (2008)
The inquest proceedings has been initiated by the sub-divisional magistrate of the area, as any death within seven years of marriage is legally required to be investigated by the sub-divisional magistrate.
Earlier, reports emerged about the text and tweet messages between Tharoor and a Pakistani journalist. This raised a controversy over an alleged extra-marital affair of Tharoor with the Pakistani journalist. This controversy was a burning hot topic on the social media, whereas, Sunanda tweeted two days back that everything between Tharoor and her was fine and the death came after a day of the tweet.