The Union Government in the first week of October 2016 appointed Indian Revenue Service officer Sushil Chandra as the Chairman of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
Chandra will take over from the current CBDT Chairperson Rani Singh Nair, who will retire on 31 October 2016.
Chandra is currently posted as Member, CBDT.
About Central Board of Direct Taxes
• The Central Board of Direct Taxes provides essential inputs for policy and planning of direct taxes in India.
• It is the policy-making body of the Income Tax Department under the Union Finance Ministry.
• It is a statutory authority functioning under the Central Board of Revenue Act, 1963.
• The Chairperson of the CBDT is the senior-most IRS civil servant in the Government of India.
• The Chairperson of Central Board of Direct Taxes is the ex officio Special Secretary to the Government of India and also cadre controlling authority of the Indian Revenue Service.
• The CBDT Chairperson is placed above the officers of the rank of Lieutenant-General, Vice-Admiral or Air Marshal, CBI Director and Deputy Comptroller and Auditor General in the Order of Precedence.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.