Swachh Survekshan League 2020 launched: All you need to know!
The Swachh Survekshan League 2020 has been launched with the aim of sustaining the on-ground performance of cities.
Swachh Survekshan 2020 League was launched by Housing and Urban Affairs Minister Hardeep Singh Puri in New Delhi on June 6, 2019.
The Swachh Survekshan League will be a quarterly cleanliness assessment of Indian cities and towns. It will be integrated with Swachh Survekshan 2020, the 5th edition of Swachh Survekshan survey of urban India, which will be conducted between January and February 2020.
Swachh Survekshan League 2020 (SS League 2020)
Objective: The Swachh Survekshan League has been launched with the aim of sustaining the on-ground performance of cities along with continuous monitoring of service level performance in cleanliness.
SS League 2020 Framework
• The SS League 2020 will be conducted in 3 quarters April- June, July – September and October- December 2019.
• It will have a weightage of 2000 marks for each quarter, which will be evaluated on the basis of monthly updation of SBM-U online MIS by cities along with citizen’s validation on the 12 service level progress indicators through outbound calls. These two parameters will determine the quarterly ranking of cities.
• The ranks will be assigned in two categories:
(i) Cities with population of one lakh and above
(ii) Cities with population of less than 1 lakh
• The exercise will cover all ULBs that have come into existence on or before 31 December 2018.
Swachh Survekshan League 2020: Significance
The high performance of the Indian cities in Swachh Survekshan League 2020 will be crucial, as it will impact their ranking in Swachh Survekshan 2020, as 25 percent weightage of the quarterly assessment will be included in the annual survey in January 2020.
Objectives of Swachh Survekshan
• The annual cleanliness survey aims to encourage large scale participation of citizens in cleanliness drives.
• It aims to ensure sustainability of initiatives taken towards garbage free and open defecation free cities.
• It aims to create awareness among all sections of the society regarding the importance of working together towards making towns and cities a better place to live in.
• The survey also aims to foster healthy competition among towns and cities to improve their service delivery to citizens, towards creating cleaner cities.
About Swachh Survekshan Survey
• The first edition of the annual cleanliness survey was conducted in January 2016. It involved the ranking of 73 cities.
• The ‘Swachh Survekshan-2017’ was conducted for 434 cities in January-February 2017.
• The third edition of the survey, which was held in 2018, was conducted across 4,203 cities in 66 days. It became the largest-ever pan-India sanitation survey in the world.
• The fourth edition of the cleanliness survey, Swachh Survekshan 2019 covered 4237 cities in a record time of 28 days. The survey was fully digitized and paperless.
• While Mysuru was judged as the cleanest city in India in the 2016 Swachh Survekshan, Indore was ranked as the cleanest city in India in the last three editions of the annual cleanliness survey.
Take Weekly Tests on app for exam prep and compete with others. Download Current Affairs and GK app
एग्जाम की तैयारी के लिए ऐप पर वीकली टेस्ट लें और दूसरों के साथ प्रतिस्पर्धा करें। डाउनलोड करें करेंट अफेयर्स ऐपAndroidIOS