Tambul Leaf Plates was on 9 September 2015 conferred with the SEED Special Recognition Award in Nairobi, Kenya.
The onetime special award was presented to the Indian based organisation to mark the 10th anniversary of the annual SEED Awards.
• It is a global partnership for action on sustainable development and the green economy.
• Its founding partners are the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the united nations environment programme (UNEP) and International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN).
• It supports innovative small-scale and locally driven entrepreneurs around the globe who integrate social and environmental benefits into their business model from the outset.
• They were given for the first time to 5 enterprises in 2005 on the sidelines of the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development (UNCSD) in New York.
• So far, 202 inspirational social and environmental enterprises were honoured with the awards.
• The Special Recognition Award winner -Tambul Leaf Plates- was the winner of the 2013 SEED Low Carbon Winner Award.
About Tambul Leaf Plates
• It produces and markets biodegradable disposable dinnerware from the fallen sheath of the arecanut plant.
• Its activities help in reducing plastic waste pollution and creating a value chain on the basis on an abundant natural resource.
• Since 2011, it has been able to generate sustainable livelihood for 2000+ rural youths and promote 100+ arecanut leaf plate making units.
• It played a major role the income of the producers has increased by more than 100 per cent over these years.
• It also provides entrepreneurial and production skills trainings. So far, 330 rural youths benefitted.
• Its founder is Arindam Dasgupta and it has major operations in North East India.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Who: Tambul Leaf Plates
When: 9 September 2015