Thailand named its crown prince Maha Vajiralongkorn as its new king on 1 December 2016, 50 days after the passing of King Bhumibol Adulyadei.
Dressed in white, prince Vajiralongkorn ascended the throne and accepted his new responsibilities at the invitation of the National Legislative Assembly’s (NLA) President in his Bangkok Palace amidst the whole of Thai media. The ceremony was attended by several senior officials like the chief of NLA, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and the head of the privv council, Prem Tinsulanonda.
• The Prince became Rama X, the 10th king of the Thailand’s Chakri dynasty. The dynasty was established in 1782.
• His official title will be - King Maha Vajiralongkorn Bodindradebayavarangkun.
• Originally, Vajiralongkorn was supposed to take the throne the very day his father passed away but he asked for the ceremony to be postponed so that he could have time to mourn.
• The responsibility of handling the throne matters for the time went to the head of the privv council, 96-year-old Prem Tinsulanonda.
About King Bhumibol Adulyadei
• He died on 13 October 2016 at the age of 88, following a long span of illness.
• He ruled for 70 years. He named his only son Vajiralongkorn, as his successor way back in 1972.
• Though his rule wasn’t as easy one, as it was hit by a communist insurgency, coup and street protests, he played a significant role in bringing stability to the nation and restoring faith in the monarchy.
• For many Thais, he was the only consistent force in an era of rapid change and violent political upheaval.
The new king definitely doesn’t enjoy the same respect reputation as his father before him. His personal life especially is very controversial. He has been divorced thrice and has a very flamboyant image. He is also known to spend a lot of his time in his property in Germany.
While Vajiralongkorn has been named as the new king, his official coronation will take place next year, following the cremation of the late king.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.