16 August 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as Global Liveability Index 2018, death of former Indian captain and 24th World Congress of Philosophy among others.
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi on August 15, 2018 announced the launch of Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana Abhiyan in which month this year?
2. This former Indian cricket captain, who led team India to their first overseas Test wins in England and the West Indies in 1971, passed away on August 15, 2018.
a) Ajit Wadekar
b) Lala Amarnath
c) Vijay Samuel Hazare
d) Vinoo Mankad
3. What was Delhi’s rank in the Global Liveability Index 2018?
4. Which city topped the Global Liveability Index 2018?
5. India’s first-ever women’s bank- Bharatiya Mahila Bank was merged with which bank?
6. Where was the 24th World Congress of Philosophy (WCP) held?
d) Sri Lanka
7. Who was appointed as the brand ambassador of road safety campaign in India?
a) Akshay Kumar
b) Sharukh Khan
c) Aamir Khan
d) Salman Khan
8. Which state will observe September as the ‘month of nutrition’?
9. Mario Abdo Benitez was sworn in as the new President of which nation?
10. Who was India’s first ODI captain?
a) M A K Pataudi
b) Lala Amarnath
c) Nari Contractor
d) Ajit Wadekar
11. Who has been appointed as the head coach of women’s cricket team?
a) Anil Kumble
b) Ramesh Powar
c) Virender Sehwag
d) V V S Laxman
12. The naval forces of India and which nation will conduct joint exercises next month to commemorate the 25th anniversary of their maritime bilateral relations?
Answers with Explanation
1. (b) September
Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the launch of world's largest government-funded programme – ‘Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Abhiyaan’. It will be launched on the birth anniversary of Pt Deen Dayal Upadhyay on September 25, 2018.
2. (a) Ajit Wadekar
Former Indian cricket captain Ajit Wadekar, passed away at the age of 77 on August 15, 2018 after a prolonged illness. He led team India to their first overseas Test wins in England and the West Indies in 1971.
3. (d) 112
South Asian countries including India have fared poorly in a ranking of the world's most liveable cities in the Global Liveability Index 2018 with New Delhi figuring at 112th and Mumbai at 117th position in a list of 140 cities.
4. (a) Vienna
Austrian capital Vienna was ranked as world’s most liveable city among 140 major cities in 2018 Global Liveability Index released by Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU). It is first time that European city has topped rankings of EIU annual survey.
5. (a) SBI
Bharatiya Mahila Bank (BMB) was India’s first national women's bank. It was inaugurated on November 19, 2013. However, in April 2017, it was merged with the State Bank of India to ensure greater banking outreach to women.
6. (c) China
The 24th World Congress of Philosophy (WCP) was held in Beijing, China from August 13 to 17, 2018. It was organised by the International Federation of Philosophical Societies, and Peking University. Its theme was “Learning To Be Human”.
7. (a) Akshay Kumar
Minister for Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari launched road safety awareness video with Brand ambassador of road safety campaign actor Akshay Kumar in New Delhi. The priority of the Government is to reduce road accidents.
8. (b) Rajasthan
Rajasthan will observe September as the “month of nutrition” to create awareness among people living in the state. In the month of nutrition awareness in rural as well as urban areas will be created for nutrition.
9. (c) Paraguay
Colorado Party’s Mario Abdo Benitez has been sworn in as the new President of Paraguay for a five-year term. Benitez clinched the top spot after defeating his closest rival, Efrain Alegre from the liberal opposition alliance, by four percentage points in the nation’s elections, which were held in April 2018.
10. (d) Ajit Wadekar
Former Indian cricket captain Ajit Wadekar, passed away at the age of 77 on August 15, 2018 after a prolonged illness. He was India’s first ODI captain. Though, he appeared in just two matches. He is also the only cricketer apart from Lala Amarnath and Chandu Borde to have served as captain, manager and selector in Indian cricket.
11. (b) Ramesh Powar
Former India spinner Ramesh Powar has been appointed as the head coach of the Indian women's national cricket team till the ICC World T20, which is scheduled to be held in November 2018. Power has now been handed over full-time duties as head coach till November 30.
12. (c) Singapore
The navies of India and Singapore will conduct joint exercises next month to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the maritime bilateral relations between the two countries. The bilateral naval exercise will be the longest uninterrupted naval exercise that India has with any country in the world.
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider