17 January 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics like ‘Vajra Prahar’ military exercise, ‘Top 100 Global Technology Leaders’ list and MoU for development of logistics sector among others.
1. The Defence Acquisition Council has cleared procurement of small arms worth how much amount?
a) Rs 2678 Cr
b) Rs 4568 Cr
c) Rs 9060 Cr
d) Rs 3547 Cr
2. India is going to conduct a joint military exercise called ‘Vajra Prahar’ with which nation?
c) Sri Lanka
3. Which Union Department signed a MoU with Confederation of Indian Industry for the development of logistics sector?
a) Department of Commerce
b) Department of Consumer Affairs
c) Department of Public Enterprises
d) Department of Expenditure
4. Which company has topped Thomson Reuters’ debut list of ‘Top 100 Global Technology Leaders’?
c) Intel Corp
5. In the Thomson Reuters’ list of top 100 global tech companies, 45 percent of the companies belong to which nation?
6. Which vulnerable group would be most affected with the US’s decision to withhold almost 65 million dollars worth financial aid from UN Relief and Welfare Agency?
7. Which Indian IT firm has signed a deal worth over 690 mn dollars with M&G Prudential?
b) Tech Mahindra
c) Tata Consultancy Services
8. Indian Coast Guard has begun its biennial search and rescue exercise with the Coast Guard of which nation?
d) Sri Lanka
9. The Union Government has sanctioned projects worth over Rs 10000 cr for which region to enable better connectivity?
d) Leh- Ladakh
10. Which nation has launched a new guided-missile frigate called 'Wuhai'?
b) North Korea
11. Which state has decided to organise a blockchain hackathon to see if the participants can develop prototypes of the technology to solve government related issues?
d) Andhra Pradesh
12. Which online video streaming service has toughened the rules regarding which videos will get advertisements?
Answers with Explanation
1. (d) Rs 3547 Cr
The Defence Acquisition Council on 16 January 2017 cleared the procurement of 72,000 assault rifles and 93,895 carbines on a fast track basis to meet the immediate requirement of the troops deployed along the borders. The procurement involves expenditure worth Rs 3,547 crore. The decision is expected to address the shortage of small arms for the armed forces.
2. (b) US
The Indo-US joint military exercise ‘Vajra Prahar’ will be undertaken at the Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM) in Seattle, US in the third week of January. The exercise would see a 45-member Special Forces team from Indian Army’s Southern Command train alongside US soldiers.
3. (a) Department of Commerce
The Department of Commerce on 16 January 2018 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) for setting-up of an institutional mechanism for the integrated development of Logistics sector in the country.
4. (d) Microsoft
Thomson Reuters Corp on 17 January 2018 published its debut ‘Top 100 Global Technology Leaders’ list, which was topped by Microsoft, followed by Intel Corp and Cisco Systems at the 2nd and 3rd position respectively. The list aims to identify the industry's top financially successful and organisationally sound organisations.
5. (a) US
Thomson Reuters Corp on 17 January 2018 published its debut ‘Top 100 Global Technology Leaders’ list, which was topped by Microsoft, followed by Intel Corp and Cisco Systems at the 2nd and 3rd position respectively. Almost 45 percent of the top 100 tech companies are headquartered in the United States, which inevitably places the nation at the top. Japan and Taiwan are tied for the second place, followed by India at third.
6. (a) Palestinians
The United States has withheld more than half of the 125 million dollars worth initial aid that it had planned to give to the United Nations Relief and Welfare Agency for the Palestinians. The State Department said it will hold back 65 million dollars from the UN Relief and Welfare Agency as the aid group needed to make unspecified reforms.
7. (c) Tata Consultancy Services
India's largest IT services firm Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) on 16 January 2018 signed a deal worth over USD 690 million with M&G Prudential, the UK and European savings and investments business of Prudential plc. Under the contract, TCS will digitally transform M&G Prudential's business and deliver enhanced service for its UK savings and retirement customers.
8. (b) Japan
The biennial search and rescue exercise by the ships and aircraft from the Indian and Japanese Coast Guards got underway on 16 January 2018. The exercise, the eighth in the series of ‘National Maritime Search and Rescue Workshop and Exercise,’ will see participation from the ships and aircraft of Coast Guards from India and Japan, the Indian Navy and Air Force and National Institute of Ocean Technology (NIOT).
9. (b) North-East
The Union Government has sanctioned projects worth over Rs10, 000 crore in the North East for better network connectivity. The information was shared by Telecommunication Minister Manoj Sinha, who said that most of the projects will be completed this year. He added that two MoUs have been signed to cover the uncovered areas in the North East including Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.
10. (c) China
China has launched a new guided- missile frigate called 'Wuhai', which has stronger anti- submarine capabilities. Lu Baoqiang, political commissar of a military base under the Northern Theatre Command, conferred the navy ensign and naming certificate to the new frigate (hull number 540) at a ceremony conducted on 15 January 2018, after which Wuhai officially joined the naval battle sequence.
11. (b) Karnataka
Karnataka's Information Technology department would be organising a blockchain hackathon from 19 to 21 January 19 to see if participants can create demonstrable prototypes of the use of blockchain in government applications. The move comes as blockchain, the technology behind cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, is fast gaining acceptance worldwide.
12. (d) Youtube
YouTube on 16 January announced stricter rules regarding when it will run advertisements with videos as it scrambled to quell concerns by brands about being paired with troublesome content. The channels at YouTube will now need to have at least 1,000 subscribers and 4000 hours of watch time within the past year to be eligible for ads.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.