17 May 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover the topics like Intellectual Property mascot, Directorate General of Trade Remedies and Karnataka elections 2018 among others.
1. Name the Intellectual Property mascot that was launched recently?
a) IP Nani
b) IP Chotu
c) IP Guru
d) IP Dadi
2. Which IIM institute launched USD 25million Bharat Inclusion Initiative for startups?
3. Who was appointed as eminent jurist in the high-profile Lokpal selection committee?
a) PP Rao
b) Dipak Misra
c) Mukul Rohatgi
d) Tarun Gogoi
4. What is the India’s position in the world in 2017 in terms of solar market, as per Mercom Communications’ latest report?
5. Who was appointed as the independent chairman of the International Cricket Council (ICC)?
a) Shashank Manohar
b) Jaikant Patel
c) Giles Clarke
d) Dave Richardson
6. The Directorate General of Trade Remedies will be created in which department?
a) Department of Textiles
b) Department of Commerce
c) Department of Trade and taxes
d) Department of Information Technology
7. Which international organization published its first essential diagnostics list?
a) International Health Organization
c) World Health Organisation
d) International Medical Corps
8. The Union Cabinet has approved the setting up of a new AIIMS college in which state?
9. Which nation has become the second nation to move its embassy in Israel to Jerusalem?
10. Which party emerged as the single largest party in the results of Karnataka elections 2018?
11. When was the World Telecommunication and Information Society Day observed?
a) May 17
b) May 15
c) May 16
d) May 14
12. Which state government would be setting up a panel to check security expenditure?
a) Uttar Pradesh
1. (a) IP Nani
The Minister of Commerce and Industry Suresh Prabhu launched the Intellectual Property (IP) mascot – IP Nani – at the conference on National Intellectual Property Rights Policy in New Delhi on May 16, 2018.
2. (b) IIM-Ahmedabad
IIM-Ahmedabad’s Centre for Innovation, Incubation and Entrepreneurship (CIIE) launched a Bharat Inclusion Initiative to invest about USD 25 million in startups working in the areas of financial inclusion, livelihood, education and health over the next 3 to 4 years.
3. (c) Mukul Rohatgi
Mukul Rohatgi, the former Attorney General of India and Senior Counsel, was appointed as eminent jurist in the high-profile Lokpal selection committee led by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The post of eminent jurist was lying vacant since the death of senior advocate PP Rao in September 2017.
4. (c) 3rd
India emerged as the 3rd largest solar market in the world in 2017 behind China and the US, as per latest report by Mercom Communications. India set a new record with 9.6 GW of solar installations in 2017, which was more than double the 4.3 GW installed in 2016.
5. (a) Shashank Manohar
Shashank Manohar, the former BCCI President, will serve a second two-year term as the independent chairman of the International Cricket Council after he was elected unopposed by the governing body’s Board.
6. (b) Department of Commerce
The Department of Commerce on May 17, 2018 issued notification for creation of the Directorate General of Trade Remedies (DGTR) in the Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry. The approval for the creation of DGTR was given by Union Commerce and Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu.
7. (c) World Health Organisation
The World Health Organisation has published its first 'essential diagnostics list', which is a catalogue of tests needed to diagnose the most common conditions along with a number of global priority diseases. The list provides an essential package that can form the basis for screening and management of patients.
8. (b) Jharkhand
The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved setting up of a new All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in Deoghar, Jharkhand. A provision of funds worth Rs. 1103 crore has been approved for the project and the AIIMS will be set up under the Pradhan MantriSwasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY).
9. (a) Guatemala
Guatemala on May 16, 2018 opened its new embassy in Jerusalem, becoming the second country to do so after the United States, which made the move two days earlier. The move gives Israel a diplomatic boost even as it faces international criticism for the deadly violence on the Gaza border.
10. (a) BJP
The Bharatiya Janta Party emerged as the single largest party in Karnataka after the final votes were counted on May 15, 2018. The BJP managed to grab 104 seats in the 224 seat assembly, much ahead of the ruling Congress which won 78 and Janta Dal (Secular), which won 37 seats.
11. (a) May 17
The World Telecommunication and Information Society Day was observed across the world on May 17, 2018. The main aim of the day is to help raise awareness of the possibilities that the use of the Internet and other information and communication technologies (ICT) can bring to societies and economies, as well as of ways to bridge the digital divide.
12. (d) Punjab
The Punjab government on May 16, 2018 said that it would set up a committee to streamline the system of providing security to officials and non-officials, taking cognizance of reports claiming the state lacked a rational policy. The decision was taken after Chief Minister Amarinder Singh took cognisance of media reports claiming that absence of prudent norms was causing avoidable financial loss to the state.