18 May 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover topics such as Swachh Survekshan-2018, IP mascot Nani and DRDO Lifetime Achievement Award 2017 among others.
1. Which city was named as the India’s cleanest city, as per Swachh Survekshan-2018?
2. Who launched the Intellectual Property mascot IP Nani in Delhi recently?
a) Suresh Prabhu
b) Amarendra Kumar Dubey
c) Rajnath Singh
d) Smriti Irani
3. Which Indian American personality became the first South Asian to be elected in Oregon?
a) Pramila Pal
b) Susheela Jayapal
c) Satya Noori
d) Abhish Kumar
4. The first-ever all-woman Post Office Passport Seva Kendra (POPSK) began operations in which city?
5. Who was awarded with the 2018 Shri Jayadev Rastriya Yuva Pratibha Puraskar?
a) Meenakshi Kapoor
b) Neetu Goyal
c) Anupam Rai
d) Anindita Anaam
6. Who was honoured with the DRDO Lifetime Achievement Award 2017?
a) V K Saraswat
b) Daman Gill
c) Raman Negi
d) T Sabherwal
7. Which state has launched a free treatment scheme for road accident victims?
a) Madhya Pradesh
8. Ramalingam Sudhakar has been sworn-in as the new Chief Justice of which high court?
a) Calcutta High Court
b) Manipur High Court
c) Gauhati High Court
d) Kerala High Court
9. Who has been elected as the Vice-President of Badminton Asia Confederation?
a) Girish Natu
b) Ramji Bhadur Shrestha
c) Moosa Nashid
d) Himanta Biswa Sarma
10. Who has been appointed as the first female director of Central Intelligence Agency?
a) Nikki Haley
b) Sarah Sanders
c) Ivanka Trump
d) Gina Haspel
11. The Supreme Court has approved Centre’s draft scheme on the management of which river’s water?
12. The United States has sought a global coalition against which nation?
c) North Korea
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) Indore
Indore was ranked India’s first cleanest city, as per latest survey ‘Swachh Survekshan-2018’. Bhopal has been ranked second and Chandigarh third in the survey at the national level.
2. (a) Suresh Prabhu
Union Minister of Commerce and Industry Suresh Prabhu on May 16, 2018 launched the Intellectual Property (IP) mascot ‘IP Nani’. The mascot was launched during the conference on National Intellectual Property Rights Policy in New Delhi.
3. (b) Susheela Jayapal
Susheela Jayapal became the first South Asian to be elected as a member of the Board of Commissioners of Multnomah County in Oregon in the western US State on May 16, 2018.
4. (c) Phagwara
The first-ever all-woman Post Office Passport Seva Kendra (POPSK) started operations in Phagwara, Punjab. The seva kendra was inaugurated by Union Minister Vijay Sampla in the local head Post Office.
5. (d) Anindita Anaam
US-based Kathak dancer Anindita Anaam was honoured with the prestigious ‘Shri Jayadev Rastriya Yuva Pratibha Puraskar 2018’ for outstanding contribution to the field of art.
6. (a) V K Saraswat
The Union Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman gave away the DRDO Awards- 2016 & 2017 to various DRDO scientists for their outstanding contributions. Dr V K Saraswat, the former Secretary Department of Defence R&D, Scientific Advisor to Raksha Mantri and Director General of DRDO, was honoured with the DRDO Lifetime Achievement Award 2017.
7. (b) Gujarat
The Gujarat government would be launching free treatment scheme for the road accident victims. Under the scheme, the state will bear medical expenses of up to 50,000 rupees for each victim of a road accident in the state for the first 48 hours.
8. (b) Manipur High Court
Justice Ramalingam Sudhakar was sworn-in as new Chief Justice of Manipur High Court on May 18, 2018. Justice Sudhakar was administered the oath of office by the state’s Governor Prof. Jagdish Mukhi at the Raj Bhawan in Imphal.
9. (d) Himanta Biswa Sarma
The President of Badminton Association of India (BAI), Himanta Biswa Sarma was today elected as the Vice-President of Badminton Asia Confederation (BAC). The election took place during the Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the continental body in Bangkok, Thailand.
10. (d) Gina Haspel
The US Senate confirmed Gina Haspel as the first female director of Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) on May 17, 2018, following a difficult nomination process that reopened an emotional debate about brutal interrogation techniques in one of the darkest chapters in the spy agency’s history.
11. (b) Cauvery
The Supreme Court of India has approved the Centre's draft Cauvery Management Scheme for smooth distribution of Cauvery river water among the southern states. The bench rejected the suggestions of Karnataka and Kerala governments over the scheme, terming them as devoid of merits.
12. (a) Iran
The US has said that it wants to build a global coalition against Iran and its destabilizing activities. US aims to bring together a lot of countries from around the world with the specific goal of looking at the Iranian regime through a more realistic lens.