18 September 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover the topics like merger of Bank of Baroda, Dena Bank and Vijaya Bank; under-five mortality rate and 70th Primetime Emmy Awards among others.
1. The Government recently proposed merger of Bank of Baroda with which two banks
a) Dena Bank and Vijaya Bank
b) Vijaya Bank and RBL Bank
c) RBL Bank and IDBI Bank
d) IDBI Bank and Dena Bank
2. The festival of tourism Paryatan Parv 2018 will begin from which city?
b) New Delhi
3. Who was sworn-in as the new Prime Minister of Sudan?
a) Bakri Hassan Saleh
b) Mohammed Wardi
c) Moutaz Mousa Abdallah
d) Omar al-Bashir
4. Which state bagged two Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) gold awards 2018 for its innovative marketing campaigns?
b) Himachal Pradesh
5. According to the latest UN report on the ‘Levels and Trends in Child Mortality’, which region has the highest under-five mortality rate in the world?
a) South Asia
b) North Africa
c) Sub-Saharan Africa
d) South-West Asia
6. Which TV series won the award for Outstanding Drama Series at the 70th Primetime Emmy Awards?
a) Game of Thrones
b) The Handmaid's Tale
c) Stranger Things
d) The Crown
7. The Supreme Court has lifted the ban on the sale and manufacture of which popular FDC painkiller?
8. Which Indian cricketer has been nominated for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award, the country's highest sporting honour?
a) Ajinkya Rahane
b) Virat Kohli
c) Yuvraj Singh
d) R Ashwin
9. India signed an agreement for construction of 5000-metric ton temp controlled warehouse in Dambulla with which nation?
d) Sri Lanka
10. Veteran Malayalam actor Captain Raju passed away after prolonged illness on September 17. He was best known for his performances in which kind of roles?
1. (a) Dena Bank and Vijaya Bank
The Union Finance Ministry on September 17, 2018 announced the proposal to merge three public sector lenders - Bank of Baroda, Dena Bank and Vijaya Bank. The combined lending entity will create India’s third largest bank with a total business of more than Rs 14.82 lakh crore.
2. (b) New Delhi
The Ministry of Tourism is organizing the festival of tourism “Paryatan Parv 2018” in collaboration with other Central Ministries, State Governments and Stakeholders at Rajpath Lawns in New Delhi from September 17 and will continue across the country till 27th of this month.
3. (c) Moutaz Mousa Abdallah
Moutaz Mousa Abdallah was sworn-in as the Prime Minister of Sudan at the presidential palace in Khartoum on September 15, 2018. Mousa Abdallah is also holding the finance portfolio in a bid to revive the country’s ailing economy. He succeeded Bakri Hassan Saleh, who will retain the post of Vice President.
4. (d) Kerala
The Kerala Tourism bagged two prestigious gold awards of the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) for its innovative marketing campaigns at Langkawi, Malaysia during PATA Travel Mart 2018.
5. (c) Sub-Saharan Africa region
The death of children below the age of five continues to steadily reduce in India, declining from nearly 22 per cent in 2012 to 18 per cent in 2017, which is now for the first time below the one million mark, as per a new UN report released on September 17, 2018. According to the report, the Sub-Saharan Africa region has the highest under-five mortality rate in the world.
6. (a) Game of Thrones
The 70th Primetime Emmy Awards were announced on September 18, 2018 at the Microsoft Theater, Los Angeles, California, United States. After being ineligible for the 2017 Emmy awards, the popular drama series Game of Thrones was the most nominated programme in this year’s edition with a total of 22 nominations. The show took home the biggest award of the event, the award for Outstanding Drama Series.
7. (d) Saridon
The Supreme Court of India has allowed the sale of popular painkiller Saridon and three other banned fixed-dose combinations (FDCs) in medical stores across the country. The Fixed Dose Combination drugs are two or more drugs combined in a fixed ratio into a single dosage form.
8. (b) Virat Kohli
Indian cricket captain Virat Kohli and world champion weightlifter Mirabai Chanu were on September 17, 2018 jointly recommended for this year's Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award, the country's highest sporting honour. If approved by Sports Minister, Kohli will become the third cricketer to get the Khel Ratna after the legendary Sachin Tendulkar (1997) and the double world cup-winning captain skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni (2007).
9. (d) Sri Lanka
India and Sri Lanka on September 17, 2018 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the construction of a 5000-metric ton temperature controlled warehouse in Dambulla of Central Province. The warehouse will be constructed with an Indian grant assistance of 30 crore Sri Lankan rupees.
10. (b) Villain
Veteran Malayalam actor Captain Raju passed away on September 17, 2018 after a prolonged illness. He was 68. A former army officer, Raju was best known for his performances as a villain. The actor had featured in over 500 films, including in Hindi, Tamil, Telugu and Hindi, in his nearly four-decade long career.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week