31 August 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover the topics like Atal rankings, 18th Asian Games and BIMSTEC Summit among others.
1. HRD Ministry launches Atal rankings for which institutions?
a) Secondary schools
b) Primary Schools
c) Higher Education Institutions
2. Which Union Ministry has signed a new wage agreement to benefit over one lakh port workers, pensioners?
a) Ministry of Shipping
b) Ministry of Home Affairs
c) Ministry of Transport
d) Ministry of Urban Development
3. Which Indian team won their fifth consecutive gold medal at the 18th Asian Games?
a) Men’s 4x400 relay
b) Women’s badminton team
c) Women’s squash team
d) Women’s 4x400 relay
4. This Indian athlete ended India's 48-year wait for a gold medal in the men's triple jump event at the Asian Games.
a) Tajinder Pal Singh
b) Arpinder Singh
c) Jinson Johnson
d) Manjit Singh
5. India has won how many medals in Badminton at the 18th Asian Games?
6. India signed USD 375 million loan agreement with which organisation to improve irrigation in Madhya Pradesh?
c) World Bank
7. The 6th edition of RCEP Trade Ministers’ Meeting 2018 began in which country?
8. Who was appointed as India’s High Commissioner to United Kingdom?
a) Rama Tyagi
b) Komal Seth
c) Ruchi Ghanashyam
d) Sujata Krishnan
9. Which Indian Naval Ship participated in the regional maritime engagement exercise KAKADU 2018?
a) INS Vikrant
b) INS Virat
c) INS Satpura
d) INS Sahyadri
10. The fifth BIMSTEC Summit will be hosted by which country?
b) Sri Lanka
1. (c) The Union Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javadekar has launched the Innovation Cell and Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARIIA) in New Delhi. The development aims to promote a culture of innovation and research in higher education.
2. (a) Ministry of Shipping
The Shipping Ministry has signed a new wage settlement agreement for Group C & D category of Port and Dock Workers in Mumbai, Maharashtra. The move will benefit around one lakh 35 thousand port and dock workers and pensioners in 12 major ports across the country.
3. (d) Women’s 4x400 relay
The Indian women's relay team clinched the top position in the women's 4x400 relay finals with a timing of 3:28:72. Hima Das gave India the lead at first and the other three racers - MR Poovamma, SL Gayakwad and V Koroth- maintained it right till the end. It was the fifth consecutive gold medal for India in the event, as India has been winning the gold in the women's 4x400m relay since 2002 Asian Games.
4. (b) Arpinder Singh
Arpinder Singh ended India's 48-year wait for a gold medal in the men's triple jump event at the Asian Games as he topped the finals with his best effort of 16.77 metres. He also ended the country's 36 year-long wait to earn a medal in men's triple jump. India had last won a medal in the event in 1982 and the last gold medal came in 1970 through Mohinder Singh Gill.
5. (c) 2
India has won a total of 2 medals in Badminton at the 18th Asian Games. The first one came through Saina Nehwal, who became the only second singles player and the first female one to win an Asiad bronze, after she lost to world no.1 Tai Tzu Ying of Chinese Taipei. The second one was won by PV Sindhu, who became the first badminton player to win silver in Asian Games.
6. (a) ADB
India has signed a USD 375 million loan agreement with the Asian Development Bank (ADB) for Madhya Pradesh Irrigation Efficiency Improvement Project (MPIEIP). The aim of the pact is to double farming incomes in Madhya Pradesh by expanding irrigation networks and system efficiency.
7. (b) Singapore
The 6th edition of RCEP Trade Ministers’ Meeting 2018 started in Singapore on August 30, which consists of 10 ASEAN countries and six ASEAN FTA partners namely, India, China, Japan, Korea, Australia and New Zealand.
8. (c) Ruchi Ghanashyam
Ruchi Ghanashyam, the 1982 batch IFS officer, was appointed as India’s High Commissioner to United Kingdom. She succeeded Y K Sinha. Prior to this post, she was the Secretary (West) in the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).
9. (d) INS Sahyadri
The 14th edition of multilateral regional maritime engagement exercise “KAKADU 2018” began in Darwin, Australia from August 29, 2018 and will continue till September 15, 2018. Indian Naval Ship ‘INS Sahyadri’, commanded by Captain Shantanu Jha, is participating in this edition of exercise.
10. (b) Sri Lanka
The 4th BIMSTEC Summit concluded in Kathmandu on August 31, 2018 with the signing and adoption of the Kathmandu Declaration by all the seven members. Nepal PM KP Sharma Oli gave a closing speech after handing over the Chairmanship of the next BIMSTEC Summit to Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
President Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to Cyprus: Key Highlights
India records best-ever performance at Asian Games 2018: In Detail
Indus Waters Treaty: India, Pakistan agree to undertake Treaty mandated tours on both sides
Vodafone-Idea merger completed; creating India’s largest telecom service provider