Uber launches UberHIRE in 9 Indian cities
Uber has launched UberHIRE, allowing its customers to hire a taxi for an entire day to cover multiple destinations.
Uber launched a new service called UberHire in 9 Indian cities on 6 February 2017. The new category will allow customers to hire a taxi for an entire day, make multiple stops and cover several destinations at one go.
With the introduction of the service, the American company has made its first foray into the hourly rental cab market.
• The time-based taxi service aims to reach out to tourists, senior citizens who need to make trips punctuated with multiple stopovers and business travellers who have multiple meetings in one city.
• Customers will be able to hold their cabs for up to 12 hours.
• The total fare for a trip will be calculated on the basis of the distance covered and the trip duration.
• The minimum fare ranges between Rs 449-649 till up to 2 hours or 30 km, after which the user will be charged at a rate of Rs 2 per minute or Rs 12 per km.
• The pricing and cancellation charges may vary from city to city.
• The service is currently available only through cash payment.
• It had a pilot run in Kochi, following which it was launched in cities including New Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, Ahmedabad, Nagpur, Visakhapatnam and Pune.
• More cities will be included in the service in the coming few weeks.
Ola, Uber’s local rival in India had launched a similar service called ‘Rentals’ in August 2016 in 85 Indian cities. However, the company is yet to reveal how successful the service was for it in the past six months.
Uber as of now is present in around 20 cities in India. It rolled out its newest feature in 8 cities where it has its biggest customer base. The new category has already been made available on the Uber app.