The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) will screen short film ‘Azaad’ as a part of the World Press Freedom Day celebrations.
The event, which will celebrate the principle of freedom of press, will take place in Jakarta from 1 May -4 May 2017. The event will be co-organised by the UNESCO, the Government of Indonesia, and the Press Council of Indonesia.
The theme for the 2017 World Press Freedom Day is “Critical Minds for Critical Times: Media’s role in advancing peaceful, just and inclusive societies“.
What ‘Azaad’ is about?
• The movie Azaad is written and directed by Rahul V. Chittella, who was mentored by filmmaker Mira Nair for the film.
• The movie revolves about the dysfunctional relationship between a father and his son.
• It goes on talk about freedom of expression in current times and what better way to share this with journalists across the globe.
About World Press Freedom Day
• Every year, 3 May is celebrated as World Press Freedom Day.
• It celebrates the fundamental principles of press freedom as well as evaluates the freedom of press around the globe.
• The international day was proclaimed by the UN General Assembly in 1993 following a recommendation adopted at the 26th Session of UNESCO's General Conference in 1991.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.