Union Government approved Pune Metro Rail Project
The Union Ministry of Urban Development gave an in-principle approval to the Phase - I of the Pune Metro Rail Project on 12 February 2014.
The Union Ministry of Urban Development gave an in-principle approval to the Phase - I of the Pune Metro Rail Project on 12 February 2014. The approval by the Union Government will facilitate the State Government to take necessary action for faster implementation of the project.
The project is aimed to improve the public transport system in the Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) and Pimpri - Chinchwad Municipal Corporation (PCMC) areas.
While giving the approval the Union Government advised the State government to update and keep the design and technology of the system in accordance with the revised Detailed Project Report prepared by the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC).
Maharashtra Government will implement the project through a Special Purpose Vehicle which will be jointly owned by the Union and State government.
Pune Metro Rail Project phase I details:
- It will cover a length of 31.51 km along two corridors.
- Corridor-1 will cover 16.59 km from Pimpri - Chinchwad Municipal Corporation to Swargate.
- Corridor-2 will cover 14.92 km from Vanaz to Ramwadi.
- The project is expected to be completed by 2021.
- The revised cost estimate for entire project is 10183 crore rupees.