Vijay Goel lays foundation stone for first–ever training centre for differently-abled sportsmen
The Union Sports Minister, Vijay Goel laid the foundation Stone at Gandhinagar, Gujarat for the first-ever training centre dedicated to para athletes.
The Union Minister for Sports, Vijay Goel laid the foundation stone of the boundary wall of the first-ever Centre of Excellence for differently-abled sportsmen on 5 February 2017 in Sector-25 in Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
The government has allotted an estimated amount of Rs 50 Cr for the project. The centre is proposed to provide world class facilities.
• The centre will be built on 7.5 acres of land belonging to the Sports Authority of India (SAI).
• It will have dedicated tracks and a 64 m long, fully air conditioned indoor hall that will house a swimming pool as well as other training facilities for the athletes.
• It will also have an air-conditioned hostel with 100 beds and 20 suites for foreign guests and an open land for warm-up exercises.
• A lot of facilities at the centre are expected to be fully functional within the next one year.
• The centre will train the para athletes for various international competitions including Olympics, Asian Games and Common Wealth Games.
• The centre will also hold educational programmes, seminars and workshops throughout the year with the help of the International Paralympic Committee.
• Central Public Works Department (CPWD) will be responsible for the construction of the entire project in coordination with the various experts and consultants.
Besides this, the Minister also inaugurated a sports training centre at Sports Authority of India (SIA) campus in Gandhinagar. The centre will provide training in athletics, swimming and power lifting to around 50 para athletes between the age group 8-12 years.
During the launch, the Sports Minister reaffirmed his government’s commitment to encourage the growth of sports culture in the country. He also announced that the ministry will soon be launching a Sports Ministry talent hunt portal, which will provide a platform to the talented amateur sportsmen across the country to get selected for training as well for scholarships.
The minister also announced that as per the vision of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the sports ministry has established task forces that will select and train sportspersons for the next Olympics, to be held in 2020.