12 February to 18 February 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise at ease. The week's updated quizzes cover the topics like Dastak campaign, India’s biggest bank fraud and ADR report on Chief Ministers among others.
1. According to a new report by London-based global think-tank, India’s budget for which sector has broken into the world’s top five?
d) Space and Technology
2. The government of which state launched the DASTAK campaign to eradicate Japanise Encephalitis?
a) Madhya Pradesh
b) Uttar Pradesh
3. Which nation is the latest to withdraw from the UN refugee programme?
4. Which Indian bank has detected India’s biggest bank fraud worth over USD 1.8 Billion?
a) State Bank of India
b) Bank of Baroda
c) Punjab National Bank
d) Canara Bank
5. The ‘Darwin Week’ was launched in which city?
6. Which Indian cricketer became the first Indian to score a century in his 100th ODI?
a) Rohit Sharma
b) Virat Kohli
c) Ajinkya Rahane
d) Shikhar Dhawan
7. Which state has announced a one-time loan waiver of upto Rs. 50,000 for small & marginal farmers?
a) Uttar Pradesh
b) Madhya Pradesh
8. Who became the first Asian as well as the first Indian to swim across the Ocean Seven?
a) Sandeep Sejwal
b) Rohan More
c) Virdhawal Khade
d) Khajan Singh
9. According to ADR report on current Chief Ministers of India, which CM is the wealthiest with the highest number of declared assets against his name?
a) Pema Khandu
b) Amarinder Singh
c) Chandrababu Naidu
d) Devendra Fadnavis
10. The first-of-its-kind Centre for learning Sanskrit language was launched in which city?
11. Which Chief Minister was found to be the poorest among all the current CMs in the ADR report?
a) Mamata Banerjee
b) Manik Sarkar
c) Mehbooba Mufti
d) Yogi Adityanath
12. Which renowned jewellery designer has been named in India’s biggest bank fraud case?
a) Nirav Modi
b) Poonam Soni
c) Farah Khan Ali
d) Sabyasachi Mukherjee
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) Defence
According to a new report by a London-based global think-tank, India's defence budget has broken into the world's top five, beating the UK for the first time, signaling a key shift in the military balance between the two countries.
2. (b) Uttar Pradesh
The state government of Uttar Pradesh has launched massive door to door ‘DASTAK campaign against Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES) and Japanise Encephalitis (JE)’ to eradicate deadly diseases from the state. It was launched in association with UNICEF (United Nations Children’s Fund).
3. (a) Tanzania
Tanzania has announced its withdrawal of United Nation’s “Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework” citing security reasons and lack of funds. Tanzania has long been considered as safe haven for refugees, particularly from conflict hit Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Burundi.
4. (c) Punjab National Bank
India’s Punjab National Bank (PNB) on February 14, 2018 stated that it has detected fraudulent transactions worth over Rs 11,300 crore at its Mumbai branch. The bank has reportedly lodged two complaints with the CBI against billionaire jewellery designer Nirav Modi and a jewellery company about fraudulent transactions.
5. (c) Kolkata
Scientists in Kolkata came together on February 12, 2018 to observe the ‘Darwin Week’ to effectively put an end to any confusion regarding his ‘Theory of Evolution’. The week will be celebrated from February 12 to February 18.
6. (d) Shikhar Dhawan
Indian opening batsman Shikhar Dhawan created history by becoming the first Indian to score a century in his 100th One-day International. The only other Indian batsman to have come close to achieving the feat was former Indian skipper Saurav Ganguly.
7. (d) Rajasthan
The Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje on February 12, 2018 announced a one-time loan waiver of up to Rs. 50,000 for small and marginal farmers in the state. In her budget speech in the assembly, Raje also announced to set up a farmer’s loan relief commission where farmers can present their side for getting relief on merit basis.
8. (b) Rohan More
Rohan More became the first Asian as well as the first Indian to swim across the Ocean Seven. He is also the youngest person in the world to do so. Moreover, he has become the ninth person in the world to have completed the Ocean Seven challenge.
9. (c) Chandrababu Naidu
The Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR) and National Election Watch (NEW) has released a report on the financial, educational and criminal background of all the current Chief Ministers. Among them, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu was found to be the wealthiest with declared assets worth over Rs 1,77,48,95,611 crore.
10. (d) Ahmedabad
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh launched the Centre for learning Sanskrit language at Gujarat University in Ahmedabad. The first-of-its-kind spoken Sanskrit centre will offer a six-month course for people on how to speak the language.
11. (b) Manik Sarkar
The Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR) and National Election Watch (NEW) has released a report on the financial, educational and criminal background of all the current Chief Ministers. Among them, the lowest declared assets worth Rs 26,83,195 lakh belonged to Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar.
12. (a) Nirav Modi
State-owned lender, Punjab National Bank has suspended 10 of its officers and lodged a complaint against celebrity jewellery designer Nirav Modi for committing fraudulent transactions worth over USD 1.77 billion in one of its Mumbai branches.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.