24 September to 30 September 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise at ease. The week's updated quizzes cover the topics like Supreme Court’s verdict on Aadhaar, Sabarimala and adultery, Khel Ratna 2018 and UN Champions of the Earth Award 2018 among others.
1. The Supreme Court on September 26, 2018 upheld most of the provisions of the Aadhaar Act by 4:1 Majority. Which judge ruled against the constitutional validity of the Aadhaar?
a) Justice DY Chandrachud
b) Justice AM Khanwilkar
c) Justice AK Sikri
d) Justice Ashok Bhushan
2. Which Indian was awarded with the UN Champions of the Earth Award 2018?
a) Dia Mirza
b) Narendra Modi
c) Aamir Khan
d) Arun Jaitley
3. Which lone judge among the five-judge constitution bench gave a dissenting opinion in the SC’s 4: 1 majority verdict allowing women’s entry in Kerala’s Sabarimala temple?
a) Indu Malhotra
b) DY Chandrachud
c) Rohinton Nariman
d) Ashok Bhushan
4. Which airport was recognised with the UN Champions of the Earth Award 2018?
a) Vadodara's Harni Airport
b) Chattrapati Shivaji International Airport
c) Cochin International Airport
d) IGI Airport
5. The Supreme Court has held which section of the IPC, which deals with adultery, as unconstitutional?
a) Section 380
b) Section 497
c) Section 528
d) Section 657
6. Which Indian cricketer won the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna 2018 award, the country's highest sporting honour?
a) MS Dhoni
b) Ajinkya Rahane
c) R Ashwin
d) Virat Kohli
7. The Supreme Court has constituted a committee to look into jail reforms. The committee will be headed by who among the following retired SC judges?
a) Prafulla Chandra Pant
b) Vikramajit Sen
c) Ranjana P. Desai
d) Amitava Roy
8. India’s hundredth airport was inaugurated recently in which state?
c) Arunachal Pradesh
9. Which state topped the ‘Ease of Living Index’ rankings launched by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs?
c) Andhra Pradesh
10. The Haryana government has decided to institute an award after which Indian-origin astronaut?
a) Kalpana Chawla
b) Sunita Williams
c) Rakesh Sharma
d) Ravish Malhotra
11. Which movie has been chosen as the India’s official entry to Oscars 2019?
a) Village Rockstars
c) Kadvi Hawa
12. Which country will host the first-ever General Assembly of the International Solar Alliance (ISA)?
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) Justice DY Chandrachud
The five-judge Constitution Bench of the Supreme Court on September 26, 2018 upheld most of the provisions of the Aadhaar Act by 4:1 Majority. Of the five-judges, Chief Justice Dipak Misra, and Justices A.K. Sikri, A.M. Khanwilkar, Ashok Bhushan validated the provisions of the Aadhaar with few changes, while Justice D.Y. Chandrachud held that the entire Aadhar project is unconstitutional.
2. (b) Narendra Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi was on September 26, 2018 awarded with the prestigious UN Champions of the Earth Award 2018, the highest environmental honour of the United Nations. The UN Environment jointly awarded PM Narendra Modi and French President Emmanuel Macron in the Policy Leadership category for their efforts regarding the creation of the International Solar Alliance.
3. (a) Indu Malhotra
The Supreme Court’s five-judge constitution bench on September 28, 2018 allowed the entry of women into the Sabarimala Ayyappa temple in Kerala by a 4:1 majority. The bench delivered four separate judgements. While CJI Dipak Misra wrote the judgement on behalf of himself and Justice AM Khanwilkar, Justices DY Chandrachud and RF Nariman both wrote judgements that concurred with the CJI and the lone woman judge on the bench, Indu Malhotra, wrote a dissenting judgement.
4. (c) Cochin International Airport
The Cochin International Airport was awarded for Entrepreneurial Vision, for its leadership in the use of sustainable energy. This world's first fully solar-powered airport proves that green business is good business.
5. (b) Section 497
The Supreme Court of India on September 27, 2018 struck down a 158-year-old penal provision in the Indian Penal Code that made adultery a criminal offence. The decision was taken by a five-judge bench comprising Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justices R F Nariman, A M Khanwilkar, D Y Chandrachud and Indu Malhotra. The bench unanimously held section 497 of the Indian Penal Code, which deals with the offence of adultery, as unconstitutional and arbitrary.
6. (d) Virat Kohli
President Ram Nath Kovind on September 25, 2018 conferred the National Sports Awards 2018 at the Rashtrapati Bhawan in New Delhi. Cricket captain Virat Kohli and world champion weightlifter Mirabai Chanu were conferred with Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award 2018, India’s highest sporting honour.
7. (d) Amitava Roy
The Supreme Court on August 27 had reserved its order on the issue of constituting a committee to deal with issues pertaining to jails across the country. The new committee headed by former SC judge Justice Amitava Roy will look into the aspect of jail reforms and suggest measures to deal with them.
8. (b) Sikkim
The inauguration of Sikkim’s first-ever airport in Pakyong has taken the total number of airports in the country to hundred. The airport is not only India’s 100th functional airport but also one of the country’s five highest airports. The development not only eases connectivity to the Himalayan state but also brings it on the air-map of the world.
9. (c) Andhra Pradesh
Andhra Pradesh has topped the charts among States in terms of “Ease of Living Index” rankings launched by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA). It was followed by Odisha and Madhya Pradesh.
10. (a) Kalpana Chawla
The Haryana government on September 26, 2018 decided to institute Kalpana Chawla Haryana Solar Award, named after the India-born US astronaut, to encourage the participation of scientists in solar sector.
11. (a) Village Rockstars
Assamese movie “Village Rockstars” has been chosen to represent India in the Best Foreign Language category at the 91st Academy Awards 2019. The film, which is directed by Rima Das, also won the Best Feature film Award at the 65th National Film Awards. The film follows Dhunu, a girl who grows up in poverty and learns to fend for herself. However, that does not prevent her from following her dream of forming a rock band and owning a guitar someday.
12. (a) India
The first-ever General Assembly of the International Solar Alliance (ISA) will be held at Delhi-NCR from October 2, 2018. The 3-day Assembly will include an Inaugural Session, followed by the Assembly Session and Technical Sessions. The ISA, international treaty-based alliance of 121 solar-rich nations, had become a legal entity in December 2017.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week