World Hypertension Day observed across the world
The theme know your numbers is related with the goal of increasing high blood pressure awareness in all populations around the world.
17 May: World Hypertension Day
The World Hypertension Day(WHD) was observed across the world on 17 May 2016 with the theme Know Your Numbers.
The theme know your numbers is related with the goal of increasing high blood pressure awareness in all populations around the world. The WHD 2016 challenge is to screen three million adults.
About World Hypertension Day
• World Hypertension Day (WHD) is an annual initiative of the World Hypertension League (WHL), an affiliated section of the International Society of Hypertension (ISH).
• The WHD was first inaugurated in May 2005 and has become an annual event ever since.
• The purpose of the WHD is to promote public awareness of hypertension and to encourage citizens of all countries to prevent and control this silent killer, the modern epidemic.
What is Hypertension?
• Hypertension or High blood pressure is very common indeed and hence a major public health issue. It is the major risk factor for cardiovascular disease.
• In 2002, it was named as the number one killer by the World Health Organization (WHO) in The World Health Report.
• The risk of stroke is four times greater and the risk of myocardial infarction (a heart attack) two times greater if you have high blood pressure.
How Hypertension has effected people worldwide?
• Nearly one billion people are estimated to be affected by hypertension worldwide, and this figure may increase to 1.5 billion by 2025.
• In 90% of people with hypertension, the cause of high blood pressure is not known and is referred to as primary or essential hypertension.
• One person out of every three persons in India is having high-blood pressure in India. High blood pressure or Hypertension is a big danger for health. Its impact is felt on the whole body.
• However, right treatment and lifestyle can help in containing hypertension.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App