Sushma Swaraj is a politician of India serving as the external affairs minister in the sixteenth, Lok Sabha led by Narendra Modi ji. Sushma Swaraj has been elected 6 times as the Member of Parliament & thrice as a Member of Legislative Assembly. She has been allied with many cultural and social bodies in various capacities. Sushma Swaraj has been elected 6 times as the Member of Parliament & thrice as a Member of Legislative Assembly. She has been allied with many cultural and social bodies in various capacities. She became the youngest Cabinet Minister of Haryana at the age of 25 & has also served as the Chief Minister of Delhi.
Sushma Swaraj is married to Mr. Swaraj Kaushal. Her husband is senior advocate of the Supreme Court of India & a criminal lawyer. He served as the Governor of Mizoram from the year 1990 to year 1993. He was the Member of Parliament from 1998-2004. Sushma Swaraj and Swaraj Kaushal have a daughter. Their daughter is a graduate from Oxford University & Barrister at law.
Sushma Swaraj is an Advocate by profession. Sushma started her career as the student leader in early 1970s. She was appointed as the member of Haryana Legislative Assembly from year 1977 - 82 & 1987 - 90. She was the Cabinet Minister in the Department of Labour and Employment Haryana from 1977 - 79, & Cabinet Minister in Department of Education, Food & Civil Supplies at Haryana from 1987 - 90. She was refereed as the best Speaker of Haryana successively for 3 years. She was the member of the Rajya Sabha in the year 1990. In the year 1996 she was elected to eleventh Lok Sabha. She was the Union Cabinet Minister of Information & Broadcasting in the year 1996. She was re - elected to twelfth Lok Sabha for a second term in the year 1998. She had supplementary charge of Ministry of Telecommunications from March 19 to October 2, 1998. She was also the 1st woman Chief Minister of Delhi from October 13 to December 3, 1998.
- Sushma Swaraj was the member of National Executive - Janata Party for 4 years
- She held President Position of the Janata Party for 4 year in Haryana
- She remained the all India Secretary of BJP for 2 years
- In the year 1977, she was 1st elected to the Legislative Assembly of Haryana and she sworn as the Cabinet Minister in Haryana.
- In the year 1987, she was re - elected from Haryana Legislative Assembly.
- In the year 1990, she was elected as the member of Rajya Sabha.
- In the year 1996, she became the member of eleventh Lok Sabha for 2nd term.
- In the year 1998, she was re - elected as the Member of twelfth Lok Sabha for 3rd term.
- From Oct 13 to Dec 3, 1998, she became the 1st woman Chief Minister of Delhi.
- In Nov 1998, she was elected as an MLA from the Hauz Khas Assembly constituency of the Delhi Assembly, but she resigned from the position to retain the Lok Sabha seat.
- From Sep 30, 2000 to Jan 29, 2003 she continued to be the Minister of Information & Broadcasting.
- From Mar 19 to Oct 12, 1998, she was Union Cabinet Minister in Information & Broadcasting and Telecommunications sector.
- From Jan 29, 2003 to May 22, 2004, she was the Minister of Health & Family Welfare & also the Minister of Parliamentary Affairs
- In Apr 2006 she was re - elected as the member of Rajya Sabha for the 5th term.
- On May 16, 2009 she was elected as the member of 15th Lok Sabha for the 6th term.
- She became the Deputy Leader of Opposition on June 3, 2009 in Lok Sabha.
- On Dec 21, 2009 she became the 1st woman Leader of Opposition when she reinstated Shri Lal Krishna Advani
- 1977: Sushma Swaraj became India’s youngest Cabinet Minister at the age of 25
- 1979: Sushma Swaraj became the Janata Party’s State President in Haryana at the age of 27
- Sushma Swaraj holds the record of becoming the 1st woman spokesperson of the national - level political party
- Sushma Swaraj holds the credit of becoming the 1st woman Chief Minister
- Sushma Swaraj is the 1st woman Union Cabinet Minister
- Sushma Swaraj is the 1st woman Leader of Opposition
- Sushma Swaraj was awarded the Best Speaker by Haryana State Assembly
- Sushma Swaraj was awarded the Best Parliamentarian award two times in 2008 & 2010
source: elections. in, archive.india.gov.in
Ready to test your knowledge about Sushma Swaraj?