In the October 2017, the Government of India decided to increase the salary of The President of India from Rs. 1.5 lac /month to Rs. 5 lac/ month. In addition to the salary the President receives other allowances in which free medical, housing and treatment facilities (whole life) are provided. After this new salary the President will get Rs. 1.5 lac /month as pension. The spouses of Presidents will also get a secretarial assistance of Rs. 30,000 per month.
This article explains that why the salary of president increased more that 200% after the implementation of the 7th Pay Commission and what is the current salary of the President of India.
Why President’s salary hiked
As we know that the President is the highest citizen of the country, but do you know that after the implementation of the 7th Pay Commission the salary of the Cabinet Secretary became Rs. 2.5 lac per month while the President of India was getting just Rs.1.5 lac per months. So in this way the salary of an employee in the Government of India was became more that the President of India. This situation was thought to be against the prestigious post of the President. That is why Government of India had decided to increase the salary of the President.
Image source:The Economic Times
The President of India is the highest official in the country and he is also called the first citizen of the country. According to Article 52 of Indian Constitution, there shall be a President in India.
The salaries and allowances currently available to the President are as follows:
1. Salary: Rs.5 lacs per month (Non Taxable)
2.Free medical facilities
4.Free treatment (full life)
5.The official state car of the President is a custom-built heavily armoured Mercedes Benz S600 (W221) Pullman Guard.
Image source:Daily Sun
In addition to these facilities, the Government of India spends 22.5 million rupees annually on other expenses like President's housing, Staff, Food and hosting of guests.
List of all Presidents of India
Post Retirement Perks:
1. He will get (at current rates) Rs.I.5 lac a month as pension
2. The spouses of Presidents will get a secretarial assistance of Rs. 30,000 per month.
3. A furnished rent free bungalow (Type VIII).
4. Two free landline and a mobile phone.
5. Five personal staff including a private secretary
6. Staff expenses of Rs.60,000 a year.
7. Travel free with a companion by train or air.
How much salary was drawn by the previous presidents of India is given below:
1. In 1951 the President of India used to get salary of Rs. 10,000 and 15000 rupee as allowance
2. In 1985 the President of India used to get salary of Rs. 15,000 and 30000 rupee as allowance
3. In 1989 the President of India used to get salary of Rs. 20,000 and 10000 rupee as allowance
4. In 1998 the President of India used to get salary of Rs. 50,000
5. In 2008 the President of India used to get salary of Rs. 1,50,000
6. In 2016 the President of India used to get salary of Rs. 5,00,000
The government of India is planning to increase the salary of other officials like governor of the state and vice president of India. Earlier in 2008, the salary of President, Vice President and Governor was increased threefold.
Prior to this latest increase, the President's salary was Rs.1.5 lac rupee per month, Vice President's salary was Rs.1.25 per month and the salary of the governors was Rs. 1,10,000 per month. Government has also approved the hike in the salary of Vice president from Rs.1.25 per month to Rs. 3.5 lac per month.
In the conclusion it can be said that the government spends around 2 crores on a monthly basis, or 22.5 crores on an annual basis on the president of India. These expenses include all the expenses of their travels around the world, their security, their remunerations etc.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.