We all know that after buying a car or any vehicle, it is necessary to register it and we get the number plate on which some code and numbers are written. Every vehicle in India is registered under the Motor Vehicles Act,1989. Have you ever noticed that on these number plates IND is also written? Why it is written on many vehicles, what is its meaning and significance. Let's study through this article.
Why “IND” is written on Indian Vehicle Number plates?
“IND” is an acronym of India. Many vehicles have a special type of embossed number plates on which IND is written with a hologram. The word "IND" is part of a list of features of the High Security Number Plates that were introduced as a part of 2005 amendment to the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989. This "IND" high security number is found at RTO’s registered number plate vendor and if taken by process or law then a chromium-plated hologram is also attached above it, which can’t be removed.
The only reason to provide high security number plates is protection. These new plates have been given certain safety features like tamper-proof and snap lock system which are non-removable. It is almost impossible to duplicate the snap lock by roadside vendors. These plates provide vehicle-owners security against theft or misuse by terrorists.
Let's first study about the High Security Registration Plate (HSRP)?
High security registration plate (HSRP) 2001 is the number plate for the vehicles introduced by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MORTH). It is made of 1mm special grade aluminium and has been laminated with white / yellow reflective sheets. Some letters are inscribed at forty five degree angle in hot stamping foil across all numbers and letters on the number plate.
What does A/F mean on a vehicle's number plate?
What are the features of High Security Registration Plates?
- Chromium based chakra hologram.
- It contains the unique alpha-numeric identification, a laser numbering of both the testing agency and manufacturer.
- It also consist a verification inscription "India" inclined at forty five degree angle on which letters are embossed in a retro-reflective film plate for better visibility.
- On the left side under the hologram, the letters "IND" are printed in light blue shade.
- It is also made up of 1 mm aluminium sheet.
- On the front, rear and the windshield of the cars a registration mark is displayed.
- Also, have a self destructive wind shield sticker and a 7 digit unique laser code.
- This plate has a non-removable snap lock that keeps the plate in its place. So, that no one can break or reuse it.
Advantages of High Security Registration Plates
The high security number plate has many advantages. This will prevent repercussions and accidents because it has a seven unique laser code registration number of chromium hologram. In case of any accident or criminal incident, all the information about the car and its owner will be received through it.
Due to “IND” and embossed chromium plated number on the vehicle number plate, it will be possible to keep an eye with the help of a camera in the night on the number plate. That is, no one can tamper with these plates. After the installation of a laser detector camera, it will be possible to find out about any vehicle easily. All unique information including engine, separate number will be present in the National Database with the introduction of high security registration plate across the country. There will be a centralized record of the country's vehicles.
So, now you have understood why the word "IND" is written on the number plate of Indian vehicles and what are the advantages of High Security Registration Plates and its features.