Thane: The National Earth Hour Capital 2015
- Thane in Mumbai, Maharashtra was named as the National Earth Hour Capital of 2015 on 9 April 2015.
- It emerged as winner in the Earth Hour City Challenge (EHCC) 2015 conducted by World Wildlife Fund (WWF).
- It was declared National Earth Hour Capital 2015 for its city mobility plan and solar and waste-to-energy initiatives.
- Some of the actions taken by Thane city administration towards this include mandatory use of solar water-heating systems for municipal buildings; use of wind-solar hybrid systems; use of solar energy for lighting and air-conditioning; solar rooftop net metering-based power generation; and regular energy audits
- Besides, city administration also commissioned energy-efficient street lighting, bio-methanation plant to treat municipal solid waste & generate electricity and three cyclic switching units for optimal use of streetlights. These projects were commissioned by Energy Service Company (ESCO).
- From India 13 cities participated in the EHCC 2015 and among these three finalists were Thane, Rajkot and Pune
- In 2014, Coimbatore was selected as the National Earth Hour Capital.
- At the global level, Seoul, the capital of South Korea was declared as Global Earth Hour Capital 2015.
- In 2014, Cape Town was declared as the Global Earth Hour Capital.