Engineering as a career for women
Even though girls are equally bright in mathematics and science as boys, but, the number of girls choosing engineering as a career is comparatively less. The biggest reason for this is that in Indian Society the idea of engineering as a career is for boys only. The engineering as a career for women is affected by the gender based stereotypes. Even some branches of engineering such as mechanical engineering is considered as men only branch as it comprises construction and handling machinery or civil engineering where one is required to work on building roads, bridges or skyscrapers etc.
But the times are changing and people are gradually realising that women too can have a successful career in engineering domain. Even, the eligibility criteria for engineering studies mention qualifying marks in compulsory subjects and not some gender based criteria; which means every branch of engineering is open for girls.
Best Engineering Courses for Girl Students - Here we discuss the top branches of engineering preferred by girls –
Computer Engineering and IT
Computer Engineering is one of the most sought after engineering career choices available to girl students in India. The best part of this course is this, that there is no field work at all. The expansion in IT sector and software revolution in India has also made this course demanding.
- India is becoming Digital, which is helping creating jobs in IT sector as start ups and e-commerce in India is growing significantly.
- The demand for computer science engineers in India is rising both in private sector as well as public sector with e-sewa (online services)
- There is a high demand for Software developer, software engineers, mobile application developers etc.
How to Start a career in Computer Engineering
Computer Engineering – Career Prospects
Computer Engineering is an expanding subject that is growing at exponential pace with establishment of different domains and sub-domains within its scope. However, by basic understanding of the subject, Computer Engineering can be defined as design and prototyping of computing systems and devices.
Top Computer Engineering Institutes in India
Biomedical engineering (BME) is the application of engineering principles and methods to solve medical and biological problems. It integrates electrical, mechanical, chemical and life science principles in the development of new healthcare technologies and systems, as well as in providing a better understanding of the mechanisms of human life.
- The field of biomedical engineering is relatively new and growing very quickly, which make it attractive to a growing number of students, including women.
- This field is more appealing to women in comparison to the more traditional disciplines such as mechanical and electrical engineering because women tend to connect with the biological and medical sciences more.
- Also, women are more driven by the idea of helping others which make the course more ideal for them.
Biomedical Engineer – Career Prospects
- While still it is developing, the impact and advantages of this biomedical engineering are very much visible in the healthcare sector through MRIs, EEGs, biomedical chips, biocompatible prosthesis.
- Many of the medical devices that we use in our day-today-life like BP monitor, blood-sugar monitor and others are also a result of rapid development of technology in Biomedical engineering.
Top Biomedical Engineering Institutes in India
Chemical Engineering is one of the highest paying engineering branches if pursued sincerely. Contradicatory to what many believe about the working conditions of chemical engineers, the work environment is safe for them and most of the times there is minimal contact with chemicals.
- This engineering course has seen highest percentage growth in admission of girls in recent years. The reason being lots of potential majors for masters and research e.g. M.S. in nanotech etc.
- The demand for this course is all over the globe. Also, one can move to teaching, e.g. JEE coaching, job, which is most preferred by girls.
How to Start a career in Chemical Engineering
- Be it in terms of the clean water and food that we consume, the fuel we use or the medicines that keep us healthy; Chemical engineering has been an integral part of our lives.
Top Chemical Engineering Institutes in India
The domain of biotechnology is one of the fastest growing fields making beneficial scientific advances at a rapid pace in the past few decades.
- Biotechnology engineering covers a diverse range of topics and subjects including mathematics, physics, chemistry, engineering and others.
- The biggest advantage with biomedical engineer is the flexibility of timings with their jobs which girls prefer most. Also, biotechnology is preferred by girls who have missed their seat in medical admissions.
Engineering in Biotechnology – Career Prospects
- The biotechnologists deal with the combination of biological sciences with engineering concepts & principles to create medical miracles that help in healthcare sector, medical, agriculture, food technology, the pharmaceutical industry and even environmental biology.
Top Biotechnology Engineering Institutes in India
- For students who have engineering aptitude along with an equal amount of interest in biological sciences, Biotechnology engineering has emerged as the perfect subject of study.
Electrical engineering is one of the most preferred engineering domains among the Girl students. There has been significant rise in the demand for electrical engineers because of rural electrification, set up of new electrical power plants and various other government schemes.
- This engineering course is better than civil / mechanical engineering courses for girls.
- Few years ago this course was not considered suitable for girls. But now with improvement in technology and increase in job opportunities girls also prefer this branch.
- Mostly girls go for working in Public Sector undertakings, Research and Development, testing etc. where there is less field work.
Top Electrical Engineering Colleges in West Bengal