Banking sector has today become one of the most prolific job creating sectors of economy and with the spread and reach of it increasing day by day, this is going to be stay for years to come. Recruitment in banking sector is mainly done through IBPS though some organisation like SBI and RBI conduct their own examinations to recruit personnel. Now, if we are talking about the public sector banks, the recruitment scenario is clearly divided into SBI and other public sector banks. So, which one is better? We shall try to find out the pros and cons of being a clerk in both of the categories before we draw the all important conclusion.
SBI Clerk: An Overview
First, let us look at the pros and cons of being a clerk at SBI:
- Salary: In terms of salary for clerical cadre, the salary package is the same for SBI and other PSBs but for officers, there are four increments in salary offered by SBI compared to other PSBs.
- Perquisites: This is the area where SBI is more generous than other public sector banks in business. Even as a clerk, you get petrol allowances, book grant, newspaper allowance etc. Though some other PSBs offer similar perks, but you will find all kinds of them at SBI while for other PSBs, it is either one or two of them being offered at the clerical level.
- Work Pressure: You are paid more so that the bank can get more service from you. The work pressure is more than any other PSB. It is irrespective of branch at SBI that you have to work more than any PSB Branch anywhere. SBI is a brand which you will be reminded everyday when you leave the office.
- Social Status: If you are interested in being a banker, SBI is the best place to be at (other than RBI). People will respect you more even though you are a clerk and they will ask for your suggestions for investing their money in right places.
- Promotion: This is another good aspect of being at SBI. The promotion policy is the best in the industry (even better than RBI). You can reach to any heights if you have caliber even if you start as a clerk in the bank.
- Posting Areas: For SBI, one problem regarding posting is its vast outreach. You will find a SBI Branch at every nook and corner of the country and you can be posted anywhere there. For clerical cadre, generally the posting is within the state though that does not ensure that you will get posting in your home town or district. However on the flip side, the chances of getting home postings increase because of the presence of SBI Branches everywhere in the country.
Clerks at other PSBs: An Overview
So, how are other banks standing according to the same parameters?
- Salary: The basic pay and other allowances are almost same for SBI and other public sector banks because all are bound by government rules and regulations. Hence, in terms of salary, there is not much to choose for between the two.
- Perquisites: SBI offers the full package whereas others only offer some items in that, which is how we can compare the two. If you are getting this a your bank, you won’t be getting that but at SBI, you would be getting both this and that
- Work Pressure: The business figures of SBI and other banks sum up the part of work pressure SBI staff have to handle. At other PSBs, work pressure may vary according to place of posting but it will be nowhere near that of SBI. So, if you are planning to use banking as a stop gap job, IBPS Clerk is the one you should opt for
- Social Status: In terms of social status, SBI is the king and hence, being at other PSBs comes nowhere near to that. .
- Promotion Policy: Basically, all the banks follow similar kind of promotion policy though; SBI offers leeway even in that because it is governed by a separate act, SBI Act, 1955. So, in terms of better promotional aspects as well, SBI should be your pick between the two.
- Posting Areas: At other PSBs, chances of getting home posting become slighter because of lesser number of branches. Moreover, different PSBs have different strong areas or states where numbers of branches are more; hence, even if you are in the state, you are likely to be posted away from home in the most likely scenario.
If somebody has his or her eyes set at being a banker only, SBI is the best place to be at because of its diverse business portfolio, more opportunities of exposure to different verticals of banking etc. and if you are looking for switching jobs at the earliest possible opportunity available to you, IBPS Clerk is the one for you.