How students can improve story writing skills?
Most children aspire to become writers from early age when they start to read and write. However, they have little or no guidance about how to write stories. Here we bring tips and books so that students can make their scribbling into a great story.
How to become a story writer? This is the most common question asked by students who are inclined towards reading and writing literature, story books, comics, and poems etc. Children who want to write stories or poems need to advance their vocabulary, grammar, storyline and concept. A good story is made out of a great plot and use of appropriate words. Students can learn here how to improve their writing skills by reading and practising the books mentioned below in this article.
Before we get to know the books, let us understand tips and tricks to write stories –
How to write stories?
To start writing stories, first students need to begin with short stories and following strategies should be implemented to write it –
- First, decide what you want to write whether you want to write comic or fiction or action or horror or drama/skit script.
- Once you have decided the type of your story, you can begin with the plotting i.e. deciding the story narration techniques, design etc.
- After this, you can decide the characters of your story i.e. who will be hero/protagonist and supporting characters for your main character. You can begin with animals character like lion, rabbit, deer, bear, fox etc like it is shown in comics.
- Now, you can set a story which your character will be playing and for writing story line you first have to decide the concept and moral of the story, in other words, what do you want to convey through the story.
- The most important part of the story writing is dialogue, which means set of words your character will use in conversation to tell the story.
- Finally, bring your own touch in the writing style and write down the story as per the plot.
Most important part for a good story writer is what they read, as reading improves your vocabulary and you get to know different storylines. Here are some books which will basically help you to write stories as a novice
What are the important books for improving story writing skills in beginners?
- The Art of Fiction: Notes on Craft for Young Writers (Vintage) by John Gardner, this book helps children who want to understand the story writing from the beginning.
- How Fiction Works by James Wood, this book teaches you about fiction, narrative, style, characters, plotting, dialogues, etc.
- The Only Grammar Book You'll Ever Need by Susan Thurman, this book is particularly for grammar and writing improvement in students for school assignments and projects.
- Plot and Structure by James Scott Bell, the book helps students in writing the plot of the tale which is the essential part of any story.
- Dialogue by Gloria Kempton, this book helps in dialogue writing so that the narration of the story is to the point and it also has passages from famous writers so that you can analyse and practice.
- Bird by Bird, some instructions on writing and life by Anne Lamott, this is a great book for an overall guidance for writing as well as tell the beginners about situations when they start writing.
Conclusion: Before you begin to write, go through the nitty-gritty, so that you can learn small details about story writing. A good writer and story is a result of great willpower, patience and uniqueness. So, gather all these techniques to become a good writer.