Interesting facts about IIT Madras:
- IIT, Madras was founded in 1959. In 1956, the German Government offered technical assistance for establishing an institute of higher education in engineering in India. The first Indo-German agreement was signed in Bonn, West Germany in 1959 for the establishment of the Indian Institute of Technology at Madras. IIT, Madras was the largest educational project sponsored by the West German Government outside their country at that time. Several German Government supported research programs like DAAD program and Humboldt Fellowships, exist in IIT, Madras.
- IIT Madras occupies a 620 acres campus that was formerly part of the adjoining Guindy National Park. Much of the campus is a protected forest and is a home to chital (spotted deer), Endangered Species of Blackbuck deer and other wildlife.
- There is a Heritage Centre in IIT, Madras, which exhibits photographs, documents, publications, paintings, portraits, products developed and other articles. Information regarding important events, laboratory development, visits of important dignitaries, Indo-German cooperative activities, and academic achievements of faculties and students are also included.
- In the year 1999, IIT Madras has come up with an initiative called NPTEL (National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning). The sole purpose of the program was to improve the quality of higher education in India. As per the program, all the IITs, along with the IISc Bangalore has come up with a series of video lectures across all the streams of engineering. These videos are being used by several institutes as the part of their programs and the video lectures are being watched by several engineering students from across the country.
- IIT Madras is developing a research park which is modeled as the research parks at Stanford and Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The research park will focus on the innovation in India and with the help of established R&D focused companies. The research park will facilitate a collaborative relationship between tenants/clients and The IIT, Madras.
- IIT Madras has the fastest super computing facility among educational institutions in India. The IBM Virgo Super Cluster installed with 97 teraflops was also ranked 364 among the top 500 in world in the Top500 November 2012 list. Apart from this, the institution already has a super computer with 20 teraflops.
- Anand Rajaraman: Founder of Junglee; Currently Heading Kosmix.com with Venky Harinarayan.
- Arvind Raghunathan: Managing Director, Deutsche Bank.
- B Muthuraman: Managing Director of Tata Steel.
- Jai Menon: IBM Fellow, CTO and VP, Technical Strategy - IBM Systems and Technology Group.
- Kris Gopalakrishnan: Co-chairman and co-founder of Infosys
- Krishna Bharat: Creator of Google News, Principal Scientist, Google.
- Prabhakar Raghavan: Vice President of Engineering, Google and Consulting Professor at Stanford University
- Ramanathan V. Guha: Inventor of RSS feed technology