Open Text Based Assessment was introduced by CBSE for students of IXth and XIth standard in March, 2014 examination. The aim behind the assessment is to develop analytical as well as theoretical skills in students, thereby, reducing the stress of memorization.
OTBA for class IX
- Applied to following subjects: ENGLISH, HINDI, MATH, SCIENCE and SOCIAL SCIENCE.
OTBA for class XI
- Applied to only three subjects: ECONOMICS, BIOLOGY and GEOGRAPHY.
Exam and Result
- Takes place with Annual examination, result date is decided by the respective school.
OTBA takes place only in Summative Assessment II. The schools are provided with the textual matter before commencing of the Assessment. This can be an article, a mind map, concept or situation based, a diagram or a case study. The question paper of all the main subjects carry of 90 marks each. There is a separate 10 marks section for OTBA which contains two to three questions based on the syllabi. The students will be allotted extra half an hour to solve that section. The OTBA may comprise of HOTS (high order thinking skills) queries which can be subject-oriented, creative and open-minded questionnaire. The performance of students will be graded based on the marks obtained in FA 1,2,3,4 and SA I and II.
Evaluation/Assessment of Material Provided
Based on the material provided in advance, the assessment is carried out that helps to analyze the extent to which the students have been able to grasp the concept.
- The ability to think and apply the concepts to given problems
- If they are able to reach to a suitable conclusion/solution of a given problem
- The steps followed by the students to reach a desired solution
- The teachers should motivate all the students to engage in brainstorming sessions or active learning practices.
- The teachers must form groups of students and each group shall be provided with the material which can be read, analysed and understood well. The idea is to cater to the different abilities and skills of an individual learner by providing them with opportunities to apply the concepts in real life.
- A feedback of performance of an individual must be provided on a regular basis.
Expectation from School
The school must read, discuss and examine the material provided thoroughly. Brainstorming sessions can be organized, keeping in mind the objective of the text, description of a problem, HOTS and more.
You can also get: