Traditionally, professional courses and programmes were only available for Science and Commerce graduates. However, the recent focus on humanities sector and demand of skilled and trained professionals in arts fields has accentuated the growth of professional courses available to Class 12th Arts students after their Board exams. Consequently, the education sector has seen spurt in the number of professional academic programmes available to Class 12 students after completing their board exams in arts stream. Despite their recent adoption by the education institutes, these professional programmes have become very popular among students and have very tough competition for admissions.
If you are also one the students looking for a professional course to pursue after completing their Class 12th Arts exam, read on to find out all about these courses.
Mass Communication Courses
Mass Communication has emerged as one of the top professional courses available to Class 12th arts students after completing their board examinations. The exponential growth and expansion of mass communication industry in the last decade by the means of news channels, news papers, digital agencies, advertising agencies, marketing agencies and more has escalated the demand of professionals in this domain. To cater to this vacuum, several established educational institutes have started offering undergraduate level mass communication programmes to the students.
Academic Programmes and Progression:
Generally mass communication programmes begin at the undergraduate level and students can join this programme right after completing their Class 12/HSC Exam. The academic career progression of mass communication student can follow the following path
• Diploma Course in Mass Communication – generally a 1 year programme offered to students who are looking to start working very soon. The course focuses upon development of necessary skills and techniques to help them fulfil professional responsibilities of their job.
• Bachelor of Journalism & Mass communication: This is the undergraduate degree level course that is offered by several universities and institutes to students completing Class 12. The programme follows the usual degree level academic focus on different aspects related to laying the foundations of mass communication as a field of study. Generally the time duration for this programme is 3 years.
• Master of Journalism & Mass Communication: This is the postgraduate level academic programme that mass communication students can pursue. The courses encourages students to dwell into the deep study of principles of mass communications, Like all master degree programmes, this course takes about 2 years to complete.
• Postgraduate Diploma / Doctorate: These are the highest academic programmes available in the field of Mass Communication.
Eligibility & Skill set: To join an undergraduate programme in Mass Communication, the students need to complete their Class 12 / higher secondary / senior secondary exams. One of the key requirements for Mass Comm Courses is good communication skills in both verbal as well as written forms, so it is advisable that you develop there if you are keen on taking up a Mass Communication Course
Career Opportunities: There are abundant job opportunities in the field of mass communication. Being a relatively new domain, the media industry is still expanding and therefore is always look for good talented professionals. Furthermore, with introduction of digital media, the job opportunities have grown drastically. In journalism domain, students can look to take up jobs as field reports, editors, news anchors, copy writers, marketing professionals and many more. In the field of advertising, marketing professionals are of vital importance along with copy writers, content writers along with jobs in technical domains. Some candidates can also opt to work as freelance professionals offering their services to clients on need-to basis.
Top Institutes to pursue Mass Communication Courses
• IIMC, Delhi
• Manorama School of Communication, Kottayyam
• MICA, Ahmedabad
• Indian Institute of Journalism & New Media, New Delhi
• Asian College of Journalism, Chennai
• Xavier Institute of Communication, Mumbai
• Symbiosis Institute of Mass Communication, Pune
• Bhartiya Vidhya Bhawan, Delhi
• J Kidwai MCRC, Jamia Millia Islamia - Delhi
If you are planning to build a career in the field of journalism both print and digital as well as advertising and marketing, a Bachelor degree in mass communication will go a long way in helping you achieve your goals.
Fashion Design Courses
Fashion Designing Programmes are often considered to be niche academic courses aimed at people only interested to join the designer clothes business. However, this is a myth; like all other academic domains Fashion Designing has also undergone severe and drastic changes. Today Fashion designing programmes covers different domains like jewellery design, communication design, interior design, textile design, luxury brand management, branding & advertising and many others. Students interested in building their career in such domains can opt for Fashioning Designing course after completing their class 12 exams.
Academic Programmes & Progressions
Nationally renowned institutes like NIFT & NID offer undergraduate and postgraduate level programmes to its students. Some institutes also offer diploma and certificate courses in the field of fashion designing as well, but they are not very popular among the students.
Undergraduate Courses: Students can join under graduate courses in the field of design of their choice. These courses can be joined after completing the Class 12 exam and therefore are ideal for 12th Arts students. Some common Bachelor degree programmes in designing include:
• Bachelor of Design in Fashion Design
• Bachelor of Design in Leather Design
• Bachelor of Design in Accessory Design
• Bachelor of Design in Textile Design
• Bachelor of Design in Knitwear Design
• Bachelor of Design in Fashion Communication
• Bachelor of Fashion Technology in Apparel Production
Postgraduate Courses: these are master degree programmes that students can opt for after completing their Bachelor’s degree. The PG courses in Design are aimed at offering in-depth understanding of design aesthetics and principles to the students. Common postgraduate design programmes include:
• Master of Design
• Master of Fashion Management
• Master of Fashion Technology
In case students are interested in pursuing higher studies in the domain of Fashion Technology, they can opt for doctorate level programmes offered by several Indian and foreign institutes.
Eligibility & Skill Set: Students can join the Bachelor degree programmes for fashion technology after completing their class 12th examination. However, imagination and creativity are the key components necessary for any fashion designing students, so try and develop those in your personality. Some institutes also conduct an entrance exam to screen students for admission to their academic programmes.
Top Institutes offering Fashion Designing Programmes:
• National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT)
• Pearl Academy of Fashion (PAF)
• National Institute of Design (NID)
• SNDT Premila Vithaldas Polytechnique College
• Northern India Institute of Fashion Technology (NIIFT)
• Symbiosis Centre for Design (SID)
The growing economy and rapid urbanization of India has led to growth of event management industry in the country. The industry has also thrown open several academic and professionals opportunities for young students. Event Management has risen among the ranks to become one of the top professional courses for Class 12th Arts students today because of its globalized nature. The field of event management is a mix of mass communication and management and therefore needs very special set of skills to be managed.
Academic Programmes & Progression:
Event Management as an industry is still in a very nascent phase and therefore not many institutes offer fulltime academic programmes in this field. But there are some very specific institutes that offer undergraduate level academic programmes in event management. Students who are not willing to pursue a full time three year degree course can opt for certificate level courses in different specializations.
Certificate / Diploma Courses: These are short term courses offered in different domains of event management industry like PR, relationship management, logistical management and others.
Undergraduate degree: These are the Bachelor level programmes available to students who have completed Class 12 examination. These programmes are aimed at training students into different aspects of event management as a whole along with theoretical understanding of principals of event management.
Postgraduate degree: As event management is still an evolving field, not many institutes offer master degree programmes in this domain. However, there are renowned institutes like Amity School of Event Management and Event Management Development Institutes that offer these courses. Students can also opt for foreign universities to pursue master or doctorate level programmes in event management field.
Eligibility & Skill set: Event management is a multifaceted industry with mix of different factors like creativity, meticulous planning, relationship management, advertising and marketing and much more, all rolled into one seamlessly choreographed process. Therefore, any student willing to join the event management business should try and develop these skills.
Top institutes offering Event Management Courses:
• Amity Institute of Event Management
• National Institute of Event Management
• International Institute of Event Management
• The International Centre for Event Marketing & Management (ICEM)
• Institute of Tourism & Future Management Trends (ITFT)
• The International Centre for Event Marketing & Management (ICEM)
Foreign Language Courses
Foreign Language Courses have also emerged as one of the best professional courses to pursue after completing the Class 12th Arts Board Exams. Students who are interested in study of different languages can opt for such courses offered by different institutes. Students opting for such courses can either get job as teachers and professors of respective subjects in different universities or institutes or can opt for a job or interpreter or translator in different embassies. Another recent job opportunity that has come up for students pursuing foreign language courses is in MNCs who operate in different countries and require documentation specialists for their organizations.
Academic Programmes & Progression
Students willing to join foreign language courses can opt for certificate or diploma courses being offered different institutes like Bhartiya Vidhya Bhawan or Alliance Francasie. In addition to this several universities who enjoy international collaborations have also started offering undergraduate and postgraduate level foreign language programmes to students.
Diploma / Certificate Courses: These courses can be opted right after completing Class 10 or Class 12 Board exams. These courses train the students into basic verbal and written aspects of the foreign language.
Undergraduate Programme: Some universities and even some private institutes have now started offering undergraduate level courses into foreign language. Along with study of verbal and written aspects of the language, these courses also cover literature, grammar and other similar aspects associated with foreign language.
Postgraduate programmes: Although postgraduate programmes are not very popular in case of foreign language courses, but students can look at foreign universities from respective countries which offer master degree courses.
Eligibility & Skill Set: There is no fixed eligibility criteria defined for foreign language courses. As a general practice institutes conduct their own internal assessment tests to determine the linguistic aptitude of the students for admissions.
Top Institutes offering Foreign Language Courses:
• School of Languages, JNU-Delhi
• University of Delhi, Delhi
• Central Institute of English & Foreign Languages, Hyderabad
• Indo-Italian Chamber of Commerce, Mumbai
• Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
• Japanese Information & Cultural Centre, New Delhi
• Ram Krishna Mission, Kolkata
• Alliance Francasie – Centres in different major cities
• Bhartiya Vidhya Bhawan – New Delhi
• Max Mueller Bhavan – centres in different cities
Acting & Film-making Courses
Although often not considered to be a main stream academic programme, Acting courses have gained popularity with expansion of Indian television and film industry. Today, several nationally renowned institutes have come up across country that offer certificate, diploma as well as undergraduate and postgraduate level programmes for Acting. Acting courses are not only popular among students aspiring to be television or film actors but is also vital for candidates looking to pick theatre as a career choice. While acting remains the main subject of such courses, students can also opt for other fields like film-making, script writing and music as part of the acting schools.
Academic Courses & Progression
Certificate Courses: These courses are basic foundation programmes offered to students just starting out in the field of acting. Ideally suited for students who have just completed their Class 12th examination, these courses are first step towards higher studies in the domain of acting.
Diploma Courses: Diploma courses are offered by reputed institutes like FTII and require bachelor’s degree in any domain to be eligible for admission. Diploma courses are available in different sub categories like film-making, script writing, acting, theatre acting, cinematography, sound design, film writing, production and direction.
Undergraduate & Postgraduate programmes: Not many institutes or colleges offer degree level programmes in the field of film-making or acting. However, with changing times several new institutes like Whistling Woods International have started offering BA and BSc programmes in this domain.
Eligibility & Skill Set: Imagination & creativity are the key factors for acting and film-making programmes, therefore most institutes look for these factors in their students. As far as academic qualifications are concerned, different institutes have different criteria defined for their programmes.
Top Institutes offering Acting & Film-Making Courses:
• FTII – Film & Television Institute of India
• CRAFT - Center for Research in Art of Film and Television, Delhi
• R.K Films and Media Academy, Delhi
• Whistling Woods International, Mumbai
• NSD(National School of Drama),Delhi
• ZIMA(Zee Academy Of Media Arts), Mumbai
• Delhi Film Institute, Delhi
• The Barry John Acting studio, Mumbai
• AAFT(Asian Academy of Film and Television), Noida
While these are just a few popular and off-beat career opportunities that Class 12th Arts Students have after completing their Board Exams. In addition to these, there are other fields like Hotel Management & Hospitality, Cosmetology, Dance and even management that students can opt for after completing Class 12 Arts Programme.
Know How to Become an Anganwadi Worker: Eligibility Criteria, Selection Process & More
Paralegal Volunteer: Job Profile, Eligibility Criteria, Selection Process and Job Prospects
Jobs for 10th pass Candidates in Indian Railways: Check Eligibility, Experience, Selection Process
RAS Main Exam 2018: Maths excluded from Main Examination