Staff Selection Commission is a central government organization responsible for making recruitment of manpower in the various departments and ministries of Government of India and its subordinate offices throughout the country. Staff Selection Commission came into existence as a result of Estimates Committee in the Parliament in their 47th report during 1967-68. It was named Service Selection Commission, which was given the responsibility to recruit lower category posts in various government offices. In the year 1975 it was renamed as Subordinate Services Commission and on 1977 it was started to be known as the Staff Selection Commission. The Headquarters of the Staff Selection Commission is at New Delhi and there are seven regional offices at Allahabad, Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Guwahati, Chennai and Bangalore. Along with these offices it has two sub regional offices at Raipur and Chandigarh. It conducts examinations of various posts in different levels of different government offices on periodical basis throughout the year.
Functions of Staff Selection Commission
- Staff Selection Commission is responsible for recruitment of manpower in the Group B and non-technical Group C posts at various ministries and departments of the Government of India. It conducts recruitment in these groups for the subordinate offices as well.
- The recruitment of candidates are made through written examinations and personal interview rounds conducted by the Staff Selection Commission. It conducts the written examination at the various examination centres online or offline, around the nation. It also looks after the posting of the candidates so that they can be given their job to begin from their home state or region. It also takes into account the complaints and grievances registered by the candidates during the recruitment process and works on to better them in future.
- It conducts written examination on a national level for various posts such as: Lower Division Clerks, Stenographers, Assistants, Inspectors of Central Excise, Income Tax officer, Sub Inspector in CBI, Divisional Accountants, Auditors, Accountants, Junior Engineer in CPWD, Statistical Investigators, Tax Assistants, Section Officer etc. for various ministries and departments of the Government of India.
- It conducts examination for different education levels, making it possible for people of every educational background candidates to take part in such aspiring government jobs. The candidates having passed their secondary, senior secondary and Graduation Degrees can apply for the different examinations and posts in which the SSC recruits its manpower.
- The Staff Selection Commission also holds departmental examination for the promotion of the candidates placed in various departments at entry level posts. The commission is responsible for the overall promotion in the departments in which it recruits for the Government of India.
- Staff Selection Commission is also responsible for giving adequate information and suggestions to the different government offices concerned, regarding need of manpower in the concerned departments. It also advices the various departments regarding the probable number of requirement of candidates and their required educational qualification for the posts concerned.
- Staff Selection commission also selects and prepares the questions of the various written examinations it conducts throughout the nation and evaluates the papers given by the aspiring candidates making the list of selected candidates for the concerned posts.
- It is responsible to perform tasks and functions other than these from time to time, as pointed out by the Central Government.
Staff Selection Commission has long been the authority which is responsible for recruitment in various offices and department of Government of India and its subordinated offices. These recruitments are carried in a smooth manner on a national basis involving lakhs of candidates every year, who are willing to join the government services. These aspiring candidates are selected through written examination, skill test/practical test and personal interview rounds conducted by SSC at various levels throughout the year periodically for various posts.