29 June: National Statistics Day
The 10th National Statistics Day was celebrated on 29 June 2016 across the country with the theme Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare.
The main function for the celebration was organised by the Ministry of Statistics Programme Implementation at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi.
The National Statistics Day is celebrated annually on the occasion of birth anniversary of Late Prof PC Mahalanobis, India’s eminent statistician.
Its objective is to create public awareness among people, especially the younger generation about the importance of statistics in daily life as well as in the process of planning and development.
The 2015 National Statistics Day was celebrated with the theme social development.
World Statistics Day is celebrated on 20 October 2010 worldwide.
About Prof PC Mahalanobis
• He was born on 29 June 1893. He was an Indian Bengali scientist and applied statistician.
• He is best remembered for the Mahalanobis distance, a statistical measure.
• He made pioneering studies in anthropometry in India.
• As a member of Planning Commission, he gave the Two-sector Input-output model for the Second Five Year Plan (1956-61) which became famous as Nehru-Mahalanobis model or Basic Industry strategy of economic growth.
• He founded the Indian Statistical Institute, and contributed to the design of large-scale sample surveys.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Where: Across the country
When: 29 June 2016