15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas to be held in Varanasi
The theme of the 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas will be “Role of Indian Diaspora in building a New India”.
The 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas will be held in the holy city of Varanasi in January 2019, giving a chance to the Indian diaspora to participate in Kumbha Snan and attend the Republic Day parade in New Delhi.
The announcement was made the Indian Embassy’s Minister of Community Affairs Anurag Kumar while addressing a gathering of eminent Indian-American community leaders from in and around Washington DC, Maryland and Virginia.
The details of the event are still being worked out to facilitate greater participation of the diaspora community from across the world.
15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas
• 2019 Pravasi Bharatiya Divas would be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Mauritian counterpart Pravind Jugnauth.
• The theme of the 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas will be “Role of Indian Diaspora in building a New India”.
• It will be held in Varanasi from January 21 to January 23, 2019.
• The Day will be jointly organised by the Union Ministry of External Affairs in association with the Uttar Pradesh government.
About Pravasi Bharatiya Divas
• Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is celebrated in India on 9 January each year.
• It is celebrated to mark the contribution of the overseas Indian community to the development of India.
• The day also commemorates the return of Mahatma Gandhi from South Africa in Bombay on January 9, 1915.
• The decision to celebrate Pravasi Bharatiya Divas was taken in accordance with recommendations of the High Level Committee on the Indian Diaspora set up by India Government under the chairmanship of L M Singhvi.
• The day was formally established in 2003 and is sponsored by the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs and the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI), the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and the Ministry of Development of the North Eastern Region of India.
• The 14th Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas was held in New Delhi.