The 19th Kolkata International Film Festival was inaugurated on 10 November 2013 with the screening of noted director, Rituparna Ghosh's Taak Jhaank. The festival was inaugurated by legendary Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan along with Shah Rukh Khan, Kamal Haasan and other renowned actors.
Highlights of the 19th Kolkata International Film Festival (KIFF)
• The 19th Kolkata International Film Festival is an 8-day film festival during which 189 films from 63 countries will be screened.
• The focus of the 19th Kolkata International Film Festival will be on South East Asian Films.
• During the festival, eight films of Rituparna Ghosh, including Unishe April, Dahan, The Last Lear and Chitrangada, will be screened as a tribute to the director who passed away in 2013.
• KIFF is the accredited film festival of the International Federation of Film Producers Association, Paris (FIAPF).
• West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee announced that the 19th Kolkata International Film Festival will mark the Golden Jubilee of Bengali cinema.
• The theme song of the 19th Kolkata International Film Festival featured lyrics from legendary singer Manna Dey’s popular Bengali film Jibone Ki Paabo Na. Manna Dey passed away in October 2013.
• Also, the works of Malayalam filmmaker and Dadasaheb Phalke Award winner Adoor Gopalakrishnan will be screened during the festival.
• Special tributes shall be paid to international actors and directors including American actor Burt Lancaster, Australia-born American filmmaker Billy Wilder and Japanese filmmaker Nagisa Oshima.
• In the meanwhile, the State Government also launched a special medi-claim scheme for all the technicians of the Tollywood film industry.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.