67th India’s Republic Day celebrated
The parade witnessed participation of some of India’s most highly trained dogs from the army’s Veterinary Corps, after 26 years.
Republic Day 2016 was celebrated on 26 January 2016 across the nation. This was the 67th Republic Day of India. President of France Francois Hollande was the Chief Guest at 67th Republic Day parade.
First Republic Day was celebrated on 26 January 1950 when India became a Republic with Constitution of India coming into force on this day replacing the Government of India Act (1935) as the governing document of India.
Main Highlights of 2016 Republic Day Parade
• For the first time since 1950, a foreign army contingent marched down the Rajpath during the Republic Day parade. The 76-member French Army contingent was the participant of the parade.
• The parade witnessed participation of some of India’s most highly trained dogs from the army’s Veterinary Corps, after 26 years.
• The celebration was curtailed by 25 minute. The duration was brought down to 90 minutes from 115 minutes, but the format will remain the same.
• For the first time, an all-women stunt contingent named ‘Women Daredevils CRPF’ comprising of 120 soldiers will performed stunts on bikes. Apart from this women officers were also 2nd in command to the contingents of Air Force, Coast Guard and Navy.
• For the first time, the tableau of ex-servicemen of Army veterans was also showcased in the parade.
• The VVIP enclosure had a motorised glass roof so as to protect them from rain and cold weather, as in 2015 Chief guest Barack Obama and Michelle Obama held umbrellas to protect themselves from the drizzle at the Republic Day parade event.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App