25 January: National Voters’ Day
The 7th National Voters’ Day (NVD) was observed across the country on 25 January 2017 by the Election Commission of India.
The theme for the 7th National Voters’ Day is ‘Empowering Young and Future Voters.’
The Commission’s objective through NVD is to increase enrolment of voters, especially of the newly eligible ones.
The National function of the NVD was held in New Delhi and presided over by President of India, Pranab Mukherjee.
About National Voters’ Day
• The National Voters’ Day is observed every year on 25 January.
• It observed annually to mark the anniversary of Election Commission of India.
• The National Voters’ Day is also utilised to spread awareness among voters regarding effective participation in the electoral process.
About Election Commission of India
• The Election Commission of India is an autonomous constitutional authority responsible for administering election processes in the country.
• It administers elections to the Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha, state legislatures, and the offices of the President and Vice President in India.
• It operates under the authority of Article 324 of the Constitution of India.
• Under the Indian Constitution, the Commission has the powers to act in an appropriate manner when the enacted laws make insufficient provisions to deal with a given situation in the conduct of an election.
When: 25 January 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.