Indian Telugu Actor, Akkineni Nageswara Rao became the first Indian actor to be honoured with a postage stamp by the US Post Service (USPS). It was announced by the Akkineni Foundation of America (AFA) on 30 August 2014.
The stamp will be issued on the birth anniversary of Nageshwara Rao that is on 20 September 2014 in Dallas Texas. The AFA is planning to release the stamp in India on 17 December 2014 at the first International Akkineni Awards Ceremony being planned at ANR College, Andhra Pradesh.
About Akkineni Nageswara Rao
• Nageswara Rao popularly known as ANR was born in Rama Puram, Andhra Pradesh on 20 September 1923 and died on 22 January 2014. He was also a film producer with the name of the Annapurna Studios banner.
• His first movie was Dharmapatni and last movie was Manam in Telugu. He acted in 255 films in Telugu, Tamil and Hindi. He had 75 year acting career and he was named as Nata Samrat.
• His movies are Maya Bazaar, Chenchu Lakshmi, Laila Majnu, Missamma, Anarkali, Batasari, Devadasu, Prem Nagar, Premabhishekam, and Meghasandesham.
• He received Padma Bhushan (1988), Dadasaheb Phalke Award (1991) and Padma Vibhushan (2011) for his contribution to Indian Cinema.
• He also received many awards including Filmfares, Nandi Award and Kalaimamani.
• ANR founded Annapurna International School of Film and Media in 2011 to encourage talents in the acting field.
When: 30 August 2014