AirAsia on 5 December 2016 announced the appointment of Amar Abrol as its Managing Director in addition to his role as Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
As per AirAsia, “Abrol was appointed as the Managing Director following the company's board meeting held on 29 November 2016.” He was appointed as CEO of the airline in April 2016.
Abrol holds over two decades of experience in different markets including Hong Kong, Singapore, the UK and Malaysia.
- AirAsia India is an Indian low cost carrier.
- The airline is a joint venture with AirAsia Berhad holding 49 per cent stake in the airline, Tata Sons holding 40.06 per cent stakes and Arun Bhatia holding the remaining 10 per cent through his company, Telestra Tradeplace.
- It is headquartered in Chennai.
- Air Asia India commenced operations on 12 June 2014 with Bangalore as its primary hub.
- It is the first foreign airline to set up a subsidiary in India.
- It marked Tata's return to the aviation industry after 60 years, having ceded Air India in 1946.
- As of February 2016, AirAsia India is the fourth largest low cost carrier in India, after IndiGo, GoAir and SpiceJet.